Span of (1,1,1) and (1,-1,1) in R^3

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter physicsss
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Span
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 12K views
physicsss
Messages
319
Reaction score
0
I'm stuck on the following problem:

Describe the span of the vectors u1 and u2 in R^3, where
u1 = (1, 1, 1), u2 = (1, −1, 1)

I know that the span is a(u1)+b(u2), which becomes (a+b,a-b,a+b), but I don't know where to go from here.

TIA.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
do you know gaussian elimination, reduction for matrices?

i.e. how to solve for all vectors perpendicular to both of those?

or you could just look at your general vector, since it satisfies an obvious equation.
 
physicsss said:
I'm stuck on the following problem:

Describe the span of the vectors u1 and u2 in R^3, where
u1 = (1, 1, 1), u2 = (1, −1, 1)

I know that the span is a(u1)+b(u2), which becomes (a+b,a-b,a+b), but I don't know where to go from here.

TIA.
Consider (1/2)(u1-u2)=(0,1,0) and (1/2)(u1+u2)=(1,0,1)
It will then be easier to see what is happening.
 
have you noticed that the first and third entries of your vectors are equal? what does that tell you about an equations characterizing these vectors?