Parametric and symmetric equations for a line through (1,-1,1) parallel to x+2=(1/2)y=z-3

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter ineedhelpnow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
ineedhelpnow
Messages
649
Reaction score
0
Please help, how do I do this?
Find the parametric and symmetric equation for a line through (1,-1,1) and parallel to $x+2= \frac{1}{2}y=z-3$

So confused
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
Please help, how do I do this?
Find the parametric and symmetric equation for a line through (1,-1,1) and parallel to $x+2= \frac{1}{2}y=z-3$

So confused

Parallel lines have the same direction vectors.

Can you get a direction vector for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x + 2 = \frac{1}{2}y = z - 3 \end{align*}$?
 
That's what I'm stuck on.at first I though it would be v=(-2,2,3) but then I came to the conclusion that it was wrong so I am stuck again.
 
ineedhelpnow said:
That's what I'm stuck on.at first I though it would be v=(-2,2,3) but then I came to the conclusion that it was wrong so I am stuck again.

You need to get better at the problem solving strategy of thinking in reverse. How would you go from a vector form of a line to the symmetric form?

Start by writing out the x, y, z components separately to get the parametric equations.

Solve for t in each equation.

Realise since they are all equal to t, they are equal to each other.

Now how do you think you can go in reverse to get back to the vector equation?