Sparkling's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a volume by slicing

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the volume of the solid with a base in the first quadrant enclosed by the graph of y=1/x, x=1, and x=4, with semicircular cross sections perpendicular to the x-axis, is 3pi/32. This was calculated using the formula for the volume of a semicircular slice and the FTOC.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

How to find the volume of a solid given an equation and bounds?

Let the first quadrant region enclosed by the graph of =1/x, x=1 and x=4 be the base of a solid. If cross sections perpendicular to the x-axis are semicircles, the volume of the solid is:

(Answer: 3pi/ 32)

Please tell me how you got the answer because I kept getting 3pi/4

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Sparkling,

The volume of an arbitrary semicircular slice is:

\(\displaystyle dV=\frac{\pi}{8}D^2\,dx\)

where the diameter $D$ is:

\(\displaystyle D=\frac{1}{x}\)

hence:

\(\displaystyle dV=\frac{\pi}{8}x^{-2}\,dx\)

And so, the sum of all the slices is given by:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{\pi}{8}\int_1^4 x^{-2}\,dx\)

Applying the FTOC, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{\pi}{8}\left[-\frac{1}{x} \right]_1^4=\frac{\pi}{8}\left(1-\frac{1}{4} \right)=\frac{3\pi}{32}\)

Related to Sparkling's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a volume by slicing

1. What is volume by slicing?

Volume by slicing is a method used to find the volume of a three-dimensional object by dividing it into infinitely thin slices and then adding up the volume of each slice.

2. How is volume by slicing different from other methods of finding volume?

Volume by slicing is different from other methods of finding volume, such as using formulas or measuring with tools, because it involves breaking down the object into smaller parts and adding them together instead of using a single calculation.

3. When is volume by slicing typically used?

Volume by slicing is typically used when the shape of the object is irregular or difficult to measure using traditional methods. It is also commonly used in calculus to find the volume of curved shapes.

4. What are some examples of objects that can be measured using volume by slicing?

Some examples of objects that can be measured using volume by slicing include cones, spheres, and other curved three-dimensional shapes. It can also be used for more complex objects, such as a piece of fruit or a piece of furniture.

5. What is the formula for calculating volume by slicing?

The formula for calculating volume by slicing is volume = area of base x height. This formula can be applied to each individual slice of the object and then added together to find the total volume.