Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special case when solving D.E.'s

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    Why can't there be common terms on both complementary function and particular integral when solving differential equations?

For instance,

dy/dx + 3y = exp(-x) + exp(-3x)

y(CF) = Aexp(−3x)

y(PI) = Cexp(−x) + Dxexp(−3x)

The term Dexp(-3x) in the P.I. has to be multiplied by x to be linearly independent of Aexp(-3x) in the C.F.. Why? What would happen if it wasn't?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try it and see! Take y(x)= C exp(-x)+ D exp(-3x) and put it into the equation. Try to solve for C and D to make it true.

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Note that due to the characteristics of the differentiation of a product, ALL products of the form Y(x)=f(x)e^(-3x) will experience some "internal cancellation".

In your case, we will get on LHS:
    [tex]\frac{dY}{dx}+3Y=(f^{,}(x)e^{-3x}-3f(x)e^{-3x})+3f(x)e^{-3x}=f^{,}(x)e^{-3x}[/tex]
    Thus, since this must equal identically RHS, i.e, [tex]e^{-3x}[/tex], we get the subsidiary equation on f:
    [tex]f^{,}(x)=1[/tex], which is readily solved.

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4
    D would vanish... That's why they have to be linearly independent? I can't think of it in practical situations.

6. Mar 1, 2009 #5
    Where did you get this from?

7. Mar 1, 2009 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

From defining Y(x) as f(x)e^(-3x), and applying the LHS operator on it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook