Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special cases of the Schroedinger Eq?

1. Apr 20, 2010 #1
    According to the lecture I'm hearing the SE can be simplified for the cases of a timeinvariant potential and a constant potential:

Time invariant

[itex]\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x^2} = 2\frac m{\hbar^2}(V(x)-E)\psi[/itex].

Then, the lecture states that for the case of the potential being not just time but also spatially invariant it can be simplified to

[itex]\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x^2} = -k^2\psi[/itex]

My question is, why this is said to be possible, only if the potential is constant. Given the term [itex]V(x) - E[/itex] we can conclude that [itex]V(x) - E = E_{kin}[/itex] and hence [itex]\frac12\hbar^2\frac{k^2}m[/itex]

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2010 #2
    If the potential is non-constant then the kinetic energy V-E is once again a function of position. Your last result is not a function of position.

4. Apr 21, 2010 #3
    Call it k(x) Then it is a function of position.

nvm replying, I got the "idea" and I've to blame it on the lecture that this wasn't clear.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook