Special Relativity and Airplane Problem

In summary, the airplane's rest length of 46m is shortened by a factor of 1.8e-12 to an observer on Earth. According to Earth clocks, it would take 6.4 days for the airplane's clock to fall behind by 1.00 µs due to time dilation. The Taylor expansion of (1-x)^{-1/2} can be used to approximate the value of gamma in situations where x is small.
harrietstowe

Homework Statement

An airplane whose rest length is 46m is moving at uniform velocity with respect to Earth, at a speed of 575 m/s
(a) By what fraction of its rest length is it shortened to an observer on Earth?
(b) How long would it take, according to Earth clocks, for the airplane's clock to fall behind by 1.00 µs?

Homework Equations

time dilation: delta t=gamma * delta to
length contraction: L=Lo/gamma

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) I used the length contraction equation. gamma= 1/(1-(575/3e8)^2)=
I then divided 45 by this to get 44.999999999919m.
The questions asks though for what fraction is it shortened and so I divided 44.999999999919m by 45m to get .9999999999982 but this is not the right answer.

For part (b) I used the time dilation equation and multiplied gamma by 1.00 µs and I got 1.0000000000018 µs but this was not right. The weird thing for this part is they want the answer in days which would seem to be a very small answer

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: whoops, did reply but then i realized i'd cocked up! Shows me not to speak to soon... haha

You seem to have the right idea for the first part, just make sure you're using the right length of the plane. ( You said 46m somewhere and 45m somewhere else)

For the second part, you can't just use time dilation blindly! What you get when you use time dilation, is the time an observer on the ground thinks has gone by, when a clock on the plane has ticked 1µs. So for every 1µs tick on the plane, an observer on the ground thinks 1.0000000000018 µs has passed. Thus, every 1µs, the two clocks become out of sync by 0.0000000000018 µs. How long would it this tiny error every µs to add up to a total error of 1µs?

By my possibly erroneous calculations, I get about 6.3 days...

Last edited:
You can say the contracted length of the plane will be equal to L'=L0-δL. In part (a), the problem is asking you to find δL/L0.

JesseC you are right I did it your way and I got 6.4 days which was correct. Funny how you said you cocked up. Thats some funny **** right there. Vela, that is what I did before and I got .9999999999982 which it wouldn't take. As a side question when dealing with gamma our physics professor says he gets the value for it by using taylor expansion. I have just been plugging into my calculator. In addition to finding out what I am doing wrong in part a I was also wondering if someone could give me a quick overview of how to do that taylor expansion.

harrietstowe said:
Vela, that is what I did before and I got .9999999999982 which it wouldn't take.
No, you didn't. You calculated L'/L, not δL/L.

vela, that just gives you δ which is 1.0000000000018 which unfortunately isn't the right answer.

Perhaps you're mistaking δ for γ. δL ("delta L") is one variable, the change in length of the plane due to length contraction.

I see. Would it kill you to use Δ like a normal functioning human being? jk Anways I did that and ΔL was 8.3e-11. I divided this by 46m to get 1.8e-12 which was incorrect. I also tried -1.8e-12 which was also incorrect.

Well, that's the right answer. If you're entering this into a computer, perhaps you need more sig figs?

As far as the Taylor approximation goes, your professor is using the expansion

[tex](1-x)^{-1/2} = 1+\frac{1}{2} x + \frac{3}{8} x^2 + \cdots[/tex]

When x is small, like in this problem, 1+x/2 gives a very good approximation for γ.

Ok I added another sig fig and it took the answer. Thanks for the help

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

How does special relativity apply to the airplane problem?

The airplane problem is a thought experiment that illustrates the effects of special relativity on objects moving at high speeds. It involves a plane traveling at close to the speed of light and how the perception of time and length changes for observers on the plane and on the ground.

What is time dilation in special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in special relativity that states time moves slower for objects in motion compared to objects at rest. This means that time passes differently for observers in different frames of reference, depending on their relative velocities.

How does the airplane problem demonstrate time dilation?

In the airplane problem, the time dilation effect is demonstrated by comparing the time measured by a clock on the plane with a clock on the ground. Due to the high speed of the plane, time on the plane appears to move slower compared to time on the ground, as observed by an outside observer.

What is length contraction in special relativity?

Length contraction is another effect of special relativity that states objects in motion appear shorter in the direction of their motion compared to objects at rest. This means that the length of an object is perceived differently by observers in different frames of reference, depending on their relative velocities.