Special Relativity - Dynamics -- Traveling in Space

In summary: It's just a function of thetravel velocity ##v##. Finding ##\gamma## is easy enough if you know the travel velocity ##v##. Remember the formula for ##\gamma##? It's just a function of thespeed of light and the time delay between the two points:
Barry Melby

Homework Statement

[/B]
Assume that 437 days is a reasonable limit for how long a human can endure constant-velocity space travel. Proxima Centauri, the star closest to our Sun, is 4.24 light years away from Earth.

If you wanted to fly to Proxima Centauri within the 437-day limit in a rocket of mass 2.00×10^6 kg , how much energy would be required to accelerate the rocket to the necessary speed in the Earth reference frame? For this rough estimate, ignore the energy required to stop, and disregard the hundreds of days required at each end of the journey for acceleration.

Homework Equations

K = (1-y)mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to attempt this solution, but it seems impossible as you would have to travel faster than the speed of light to get there in 437 days. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Barry Melby said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Assume that 437 days is a reasonable limit for how long a human can endure constant-velocity space travel. Proxima Centauri, the star closest to our Sun, is 4.24 light years away from Earth.

If you wanted to fly to Proxima Centauri within the 437-day limit in a rocket of mass 2.00×10^6 kg , how much energy would be required to accelerate the rocket to the necessary speed in the Earth reference frame? For this rough estimate, ignore the energy required to stop, and disregard the hundreds of days required at each end of the journey for acceleration.

Homework Equations

K = (1-y)mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to attempt this solution, but it seems impossible as you would have to travel faster than the speed of light to get there in 437 days. Where am I going wrong?
Are you taking into account time dilation? he 437 days will be time elapsed aboard the ship, not as measured from Earth (that will be much larger).

nrqed said:
Are you taking into account time dilation? he 437 days will be time elapsed aboard the ship, not as measured from Earth (that will be much larger).

how would i go about time dilation in this case?

Barry Melby said:
how would i go about time dilation in this case?
Time on Earth = ##\gamma ## times time on the spaceship. This equation contains two unknowns: gamma(which depends on the speed) and the time delay on Earth. So you need a second equation containing these two unknowns and then you can solve.

nrqed said:
Time on Earth = ##\gamma ## times time on the spaceship. This equation contains two unknowns: gamma(which depends on the speed) and the time delay on Earth. So you need a second equation containing these two unknowns and then you can solve.
i can't find ##\gamma##

Barry Melby said:
i can't find ##\gamma##

Finding ##\gamma## is easy enough if you know the travel velocity ##v##. Remember the formula for ##\gamma##?

Last edited:

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains how objects move at high speeds and interact with each other. It is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is always the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does special relativity affect traveling in space?

Special relativity plays a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of objects traveling in space. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase significantly, making it more difficult to accelerate. This means that travel at high speeds is not only challenging, but also has significant implications for the passage of time and the perception of distances.

3. How does time dilation work in special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by special relativity that states that time passes more slowly for objects moving at high speeds. This means that a person traveling in a spacecraft at close to the speed of light will experience time passing more slowly compared to someone on Earth. This effect has been confirmed by experiments using atomic clocks.

4. Can special relativity be applied to objects on Earth?

Yes, special relativity can be applied to objects on Earth, although the effects may be negligible at everyday speeds. However, the principles of special relativity are used in GPS systems, which need to take into account the time dilation effects of satellites moving at high speeds in Earth's gravitational field in order to provide accurate location information.

5. Is special relativity compatible with Newton's laws of motion?

Yes, special relativity is compatible with Newton's laws of motion. In fact, special relativity reduces to Newton's laws in the limit of low speeds. However, at high speeds, the predictions of special relativity differ from those of Newton's laws. This was one of the major breakthroughs of Einstein's theory, as it provided a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of the behavior of objects in motion.