1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity: Photoproduction of Mesons?

1. Nov 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    12-16 K + mesons can be photoproduced by the reaction γ + p → K+ + Λ where the initial proton is at rest in the lab. From the conservation laws, discover if it is possible for either the K+ or the Λ to be at rest in the lab, and for what photon energy (in terms of the particle masses) this could happen.

2. Relevant equations
    E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4
    p = mv
    E = mc^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    2upzqbq.png

I'm really stuck on this problem. It's probably more of an algebraic answer, because I believe I'm supposed to somehow get the two equations of energy and momentum conservation to have like terms and then combine them somehow, but I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2013 #2
    I think you already have the equations.
    Conservation of Momentum: [itex]\displaystyle{p_\gamma =p_\Lambda \Rightarrow E_\gamma =p_\Lambda c\Rightarrow E_\gamma ^2=E_\Lambda ^2-m_\Lambda ^2c^4}[/itex]
    If you combine this with the conservation of energy you have two equations and two uknowns, [itex]\displaystyle{E_\gamma }[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle{E_\Lambda}[/itex].

Another way to solve such problems without algebraic difficulties is by using the momentum 4-vector (also known as 4-momentum). In this problem the calculations are not so tough, because there are only two momenta, so the 4-momentum solution is not much different. But I think it's worth reading about this method, because sometimes it's really helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted