Special Relativity - time dilation and length contraction

In summary: The observer sees the galaxy shrink by a factor of gamma, so the diameter is indeed contracted by that factor. The observer also sees the photon moving at the speed of light, so the distance it travels is simply t'=d/c.In summary, the highest energy protons have gamma factors around ##1.0*10^{12}##. If a photon and one of these high energy protons start traversing the galaxy at the same time, the photon will arrive at the other side first by ##1.55*10^{-12} s## in the rest frame of the galaxy. To an observer in the reference frame of the traveling proton, the measured diameter of the galaxy is ##3*10^{-8} pc## and the
Isaac Pepper

Homework Statement

The highest energy protons have gamma factors around ##1.0*10^{12}##.
(a) Our galaxy has a disk diameter of 30 kpc, which is ##9.3*10^{20}m##. If a photon and one of these high energy protons start traversing the galaxy at the same time, by how long will the arrival of the photon on the other side precede the arrival of the proton, in the rest frame of the galaxy? Give your answer in seconds.
(b) To an observer in the reference frame of the traveling proton, what is the measured diameter of the galaxy in kpc?
(c) To an observer in the reference frame of the traveling proton, how long does the journey across the galaxy take? Give your answer in seconds.

Homework Equations

##t'=\gamma (t-\frac{xv}{c^2})##
##x'=\gamma (x-vt)##

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I have managed to get an answer of ##1.55*10^{-12} s## for this question using a binomial expansion.
(b) I'm not sure as to how to obtain the diameter of the galaxy in the reference frame of the traveling proton.
I'm assuming it should be shorter in the reference frame of the proton due to length contraction
Do I have to use the formula ##x'=\gamma(x-vt)## where x is ##9.3*10^{20}m## and ##t=\frac{d}{v} =\frac {9.3*10^{20}}{(3*10^8 - 1.55*10^{-12})}## ? When I do I get an answer which isn't contracted, but is dilated.

(c) ... Once I've understood how to do (b) I'm sure I can work out (c)!

Thanks in advance for any help !

Physics news on Phys.org
Isaac Pepper said:

Homework Statement

The highest energy protons have gamma factors around ##1.0*10^{12}##.
(a) Our galaxy has a disk diameter of 30 kpc, which is ##9.3*10^{20}m##. If a photon and one of these high energy protons start traversing the galaxy at the same time, by how long will the arrival of the photon on the other side precede the arrival of the proton, in the rest frame of the galaxy? Give your answer in seconds.
(b) To an observer in the reference frame of the traveling proton, what is the measured diameter of the galaxy in kpc?
(c) To an observer in the reference frame of the traveling proton, how long does the journey across the galaxy take? Give your answer in seconds.

Homework Equations

##t'=\gamma (t-\frac{xv}{c^2})##
##x'=\gamma (x-vt)##

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I have managed to get an answer of ##1.55*10^{-12} s## for this question using a binomial expansion.
(b) I'm not sure as to how to obtain the diameter of the galaxy in the reference frame of the traveling proton.
I'm assuming it should be shorter in the reference frame of the proton due to length contraction
Do I have to use the formula ##x'=\gamma(x-vt)## where x is ##9.3*10^{20}m## and ##t=\frac{d}{v} =\frac {9.3*10^{20}}{(3*10^8 - 1.55*10^{-12})}## ? When I do I get an answer which isn't contracted, but is dilated.
Your calculation should give you x'=0, which should make sense. Because the proton is at rest in its rest frame, it remains at x'=0.

On a spacetime diagram, you should be looking for the length along the x' axis. You're looking for the distance between the opposite ends of the galaxy at the same instant in time in the proton's frame.

(c) ... Once I've understood how to do (b) I'm sure I can work out (c)!

Thanks in advance for any help !

Is it simply ##x'=\frac{x}{\gamma}=\frac{9.3*10^{20}}{1*10^{12}}=9.3*10^{8}m = 3*10^{-8} pc## then?

In which case (c) would also simply be ##t=\frac{t'}{\gamma} = \frac{(3.1*10^{12}+1.55*10^{-12})}{1*10^{12}} ≈ 3.1 s## ?
Doesn't seem right to me..

EDIT :: ##t'=\frac{d}{c}+1.55*10^{-12}=\frac{9.3*10^{20}}{3*10^8}+1.55+10^{-12}## which I found in part (a), I forgot to explain where my t' came from, sorry.

Last edited:
Yes, that's right. Note if you divide x' by c, you also get 3.1 s, which matches the answer you got for (c). This is the calculation an observer at rest relative to the proton would make based on measurements in that reference frame.

Likes Isaac Pepper

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how time and space are affected by the motion of objects in the universe.

2. How does time dilation work?

Time dilation is the effect where time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds compared to objects that are at rest. This is due to the fact that space and time are interconnected, and as an object's velocity increases, time slows down for that object.

3. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is the phenomenon where objects appear to become shorter in the direction of motion as they approach the speed of light. This is due to the fact that as an object's velocity increases, its length in the direction of motion appears to shrink.

4. How are time dilation and length contraction related?

Time dilation and length contraction are both aspects of Special Relativity that are interrelated. As an object's velocity increases, time slows down and length contracts, in order to maintain the speed of light as a constant in all reference frames.

5. What are some real-life examples of time dilation and length contraction?

Some real-life examples of time dilation and length contraction can be seen in GPS satellites, where the clocks on board tick at a slower rate due to their high velocity, and in particle accelerators, where particles appear to become shorter as they approach the speed of light.