Special Relativity, Train Question.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the length and time taken for a train to pass through a tunnel, and the confusion over frames and the velocity of a person reaching the back of the train at the same time it leaves the tunnel. The length of the train in the ground frame is determined to be L'=L/γ=4L/5, and the time for the back of the train to pass the tunnel in the ground frame is calculated to be t=3L/c. The velocity of the person in the ground frame is found to be c/3, and the time dilation for the person's watch in the ground frame is given by tperson=tground/γ=(2*21/2)L/c.
mmmboh
[PLAIN]http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/9443/1132y.jpg

So I did what I thought was right, but I'm a little confused on whose frame they are talking about when they say she arrived at the back of the train at the same time the back of the train leaves the tunnel..I think it makes a difference..
but anyway

a) I said the length of the train in the ground frame is L'=L/γ= (1-(0.6c/c)2)1/2*L=4L/5.
Now the time in the ground's frame for the back of the train to pass the tunnel is t=(L+L')/v=(9L/5)/(3c/5)=3L/c, and since the person reaches the back of the train at the same time the train leaves the tunnel, it takes t=3L/c.

b) Now the person travels a distance L in this time, so vw.r.t ground=L/(3L/c)=c/3.

c)ttrain=tground/γ=(4/5)*(3L/c)=12L/5c...either that or t=3L/c...I am a little confused as to in whose frame she arrives at the back of the train at the same time as it leaves the tunnel.

Those are my answers, but I am not sure if I used the frames correctly.

Thanks for any help :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help?

mmmboh said:
So I did what I thought was right, but I'm a little confused on whose frame they are talking about when they say she arrived at the back of the train at the same time the back of the train leaves the tunnel..I think it makes a difference..
but anyway

I don't think it makes a difference. The event of "train leaving the tunnel" is when the back of the train is at the end of the tunnel, and that is when she arrives at the back of the train. So she is at the same location as the end of the tunnel and the back of the train. This holds for all frames.

a) I said the length of the train in the ground frame is L'=L/γ= (1-(0.6c/c)2)1/2*L=4L/5.

Correct.

Now the time in the ground's frame for the back of the train to pass the tunnel is t=(L+L')/v=(9L/5)/(3c/5)=3L/c, and since the person reaches the back of the train at the same time the train leaves the tunnel, it takes t=3L/c.

Yes, that is the time taken for the walk in the ground frame.

b) Now the person travels a distance L in this time, so vw.r.t ground=L/(3L/c)=c/3.

Yes, that is the velocity of the walker in the ground frame.

c)ttrain=tground/γ=(4/5)*(3L/c)=12L/5c...either that or t=3L/c...I am a little confused as to in whose frame she arrives at the back of the train at the same time as it leaves the tunnel.

Here's the thing. The walker's watch has time dilation given by the walker's velocity; not the train's velocity.

Arriving at the back of the train is an event. You can consider that event in any frame you like. All the frames will give the same result for calculating the time passing on the person's watch; but they will do so with different numbers for her velocity and how for she has moved and how long it took in the frame's time.

You have been using the ground frame. Stick with it; that will give the answer.

For extra credit you could try calculating it in the frame of the train. Should get the same answer for time shown passing on her watch.

Cheers -- sylas

Ok, well I would say tperson=tground/γ = (1-(c/3)2/c2)1/2*(3L/c)=(2*21/2)L/c.
Is that right?

mmmboh said:
Ok, well I would say tperson=tground/γ = (1-(c/3)2/c2)1/2*(3L/c)=(2*21/2)L/c.
Is that right?

Yes, I think so. It is what I got, anyhow... :-)

Cheers -- sylas

thanks!

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes how objects move at high speeds and how the laws of physics can be applied in different frames of reference. It also explains the relationship between space and time and how they are relative to each other.

2. How does special relativity apply to trains?

The train question is a famous thought experiment used to explain the principles of special relativity. It involves a train moving at a high speed and a person on the train observing the behavior of a light beam. This experiment helps to illustrate how the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference, regardless of the relative motion of the observer.

3. What is the train question thought experiment?

The train question thought experiment involves a train moving at a high speed and a person on the train observing the behavior of a light beam. The experiment helps to illustrate the principles of special relativity and the fact that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference.

4. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a collection of two theories: special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating frames of reference, while general relativity deals with the effects of gravity on space and time. Together, these theories have revolutionized our understanding of the universe and have been extensively validated through experiments and observations.

5. How does special relativity impact our daily lives?

Special relativity has significant implications for our daily lives, especially in the field of technology. The theory is the basis for GPS systems, which use precise timing and the principles of special relativity to accurately determine location. It also explains phenomena like time dilation and length contraction, which may seem counterintuitive but have been proven through numerous experiments.