Simple problem about relativity and train

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a question about a train moving at speed v1 and a passenger running from the back to the front at speed v2. The speaker initially tries to solve the question using the train frame and then the ground frame, but experiences difficulties. They question why they can't go directly from the train frame to the ground frame and instead have to go through the person frame. The solution is found by using the Lorentz Transformation and considering time dilation and relative velocity.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
A train of proper length L moves at speed v1 with respect to the ground.
A passenger runs from the back of the train to the front at speed v2
with respect to the train. How much time does this take, as viewed by
someone on the ground?
Relevant Equations
I want to solve this question first using the train frame, and so going to the ground frame, but the things got wrong, so i would aprpeciate to know why.

I mean, there is another ways to solve it, but i want to know where is the error here.

Simply, in train frame the time elapsed between the event 'runs from the back' and 'coming in the front' is $$L/v2.$$

Now, why can't we go direct from this time to the ground interval? That is, $$L\gamma_{2}/(v2)$$

Actually, to get the right answer, we need to go first to person frame, and so to ground frame.

Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: A train of proper length L moves at speed v1 with respect to the ground.
A passenger runs from the back of the train to the front at speed v2
with respect to the train. How much time does this take, as viewed by
someone on the ground?
Relevant Equations:: ...

I want to solve this question first using the train frame, and so going to the ground frame, but the things got wrong, so i would aprpeciate to know why.

I mean, there is another ways to solve it, but i want to know where is the error here.

Simply, in train frame the time elapsed between the event 'runs from the back' and 'coming in the front' is $$L/v2.$$

Now, why can't we go direct from this time to the ground interval? That is, $$L\gamma_{2}/(v2)$$

Actually, to get the right answer, we need to go first to person frame, and so to ground frame.
When comparing the times of two events, the train frame and the ground frame are related according to the Lorentz Transformation (not simply time dilation). There is a combination of time dilation and the relativity of simultaneity.

In addition to the formal Lorentz transformation approach, you could also use length and velocity observed in the ground frame and follow kinematics . Length can be found through length contraction and velocity can be found from relative velocity.

1. What is the concept of relativity in relation to a train?

The concept of relativity refers to the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the observations and measurements made by someone on a moving train will be the same as those made by someone standing still on the ground.

2. How does the speed of a train affect the perception of time?

According to the theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by the speed of an object. As a train moves faster, time will appear to pass more slowly for someone on the train compared to someone standing still on the ground. This is known as time dilation.

3. Can the length of a train change due to its speed?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, an object's length can appear to change when it is moving at high speeds. This is known as length contraction. So, as a train moves faster, its length will appear to decrease for someone on the train compared to someone standing still on the ground.

4. How does the concept of relativity explain the phenomenon of a sonic boom?

The concept of relativity can explain the phenomenon of a sonic boom by considering the speed of sound and the speed of an object. As an object, such as a train, moves faster than the speed of sound, it creates a shock wave that can be heard as a loud boom. This is due to the difference in perception of time and space for the observer and the object in motion.

5. Is the theory of relativity applicable only to objects in motion?

No, the theory of relativity is applicable to all objects, whether they are in motion or not. It explains the fundamental principles of space and time and how they are affected by the motion of objects. However, the effects of relativity are more noticeable at high speeds or in extreme situations, such as near the speed of light.