• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Specialize in condensed matter physics

• Thread starter hangover
  • Start date
can one without knowledge of chemistry(high school knowledge) and only having little experimental experience specialize in condensed matter physics?

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I would recommend that you take a chemistry class. It's expected of a physics undergrad (i.e. before one specializes in anything) to have taken at least a college level intro to chemistry class.

fluidistic

Gold Member
I would recommend that you take a chemistry class. It's expected of a physics undergrad (i.e. before one specializes in anything) to have taken at least a college level intro to chemistry class.
I wasn't aware of this. I don't have any chemistry course in my whole course-load. Maybe those who specialize in condensed matter have some chemistry. If I don't, I guess I'll never have such a course even though it would be nice to take it.

I wasn't aware of this. I don't have any chemistry course in my whole course-load. Maybe those who specialize in condensed matter have some chemistry. If I don't, I guess I'll never have such a course even though it would be nice to take it.
Maybe it shouldn't, but this kind of blows my mind :eek:

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
can one without knowledge of chemistry(high school knowledge) and only having little experimental experience specialize in condensed matter physics?
What do you mean by "specialize in condensed matter physicis"? Such specialization typically occurs in graduate school, which means that you should have had an undergraduate degree in physics, and that implies that you have taken a year of chemistry.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses