1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specialize in condensed matter physics

  1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    can one without knowledge of chemistry(high school knowledge) and only having little experimental experience specialize in condensed matter physics?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    I would recommend that you take a chemistry class. It's expected of a physics undergrad (i.e. before one specializes in anything) to have taken at least a college level intro to chemistry class.
  4. Jan 6, 2010 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I wasn't aware of this. I don't have any chemistry course in my whole course-load. Maybe those who specialize in condensed matter have some chemistry. If I don't, I guess I'll never have such a course even though it would be nice to take it.
  5. Jan 6, 2010 #4
    Maybe it shouldn't, but this kind of blows my mind :eek:
  6. Jan 6, 2010 #5


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    What do you mean by "specialize in condensed matter physicis"? Such specialization typically occurs in graduate school, which means that you should have had an undergraduate degree in physics, and that implies that you have taken a year of chemistry.

  7. Jan 6, 2010 #6
    Did you see https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2519319&postcount=3"?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Threads - Specialize condensed matter Date
Programs Which subfield of physics should I choose? Jan 18, 2018
Courses Which fields of physics are good to specialize in? Sep 4, 2017
Self-learning Special and General Relativity Jul 6, 2017