1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific heat capacity of a mixture

1. Jun 8, 2016 #1
    so for one of my assignments i need to make a calculation which involves the mixture to be made of different types of substance.... the heat capacity for each of the different unknown substances that were given:
    substance 1 = 1250J/kg °C
    substance 2 = 1130J/kg °C
    substance 3= 4100J/kg °C

i need to find the heat capacity of the mixture of these 3 substances to carry on with the rest of the problem..
    so my question is how do i get the heat capacity for the mixture?? if possible please explain like the concept behind it since i will hav to do a presentation on it and will hav to explain how i got the heat capacity of the mixture

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2016 #2
    If it is an "ideal solution," the heat capacity of the mixture is simply a weighted average of the heat capacities of the individual components (weighted in terms of mass fractions).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted