Questions about my Understanding of Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics

Yseult
Good afternoon all,

I have two questions to check my understanding/understand better those questions.

Why is heat capacity an important quantity in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics?
From my understanding, heat capacity is an extensible property so any change in the system would result in a change in the heat capacity. It also works with constant pressure and volume, making it ideal. Works with different types of molecules (monatomic, diatomic ...).
Is there more to it that I am missing?

The specific heat capacity contribution from the electrons in a metal at RTP differs from the equipartition for electron gas, why?
I understand that electrons have no contribution to heat capacity and only a few are excited by the Pauli exclusions principle. In a metal, electrons are delocalised but in a gas electrons would vibrate more so would have more energy. There is also the idea of the Fermi energy and at lower temperatures, they would have the maximum Fermi energy. But how does the fermi energy relate to the heat capacity?
How would the equipartition be related in this case for electrons? I understand for molecules but not for electrons.

If I could get some help to understand those better that would be great :D

Science news on Phys.org
Yseult said:
Good afternoon all,

I have two questions to check my understanding/understand better those questions.

Why is heat capacity an important quantity in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics?
From my understanding, heat capacity is an extensible property so any change in the system would result in a change in the heat capacity. It also works with constant pressure and volume, making it ideal. Works with different types of molecules (monatomic, diatomic ...).
Is there more to it that I am missing?
Specific heat capacity is an intensive property, and changes in other intensive properties will affect specific heat capacity. What you are missing is the "how" of "how is heat capacity applied in practice to analyze thermodynamics changes in physical systems." Without knowing how it can be applied in practice, understanding what it represent is useless.

Likes vanhees71
Chestermiller said:
Specific heat capacity is an intensive property, and changes in other intensive properties will affect specific heat capacity. What you are missing is the "how" of "how is heat capacity applied in practice to analyze thermodynamics changes in physical systems." Without knowing how it can be applied in practice, understanding what it represent is useless.
Thank you for the answer! I will look more into it.

1. What is the difference between thermodynamics and statistical mechanics?

Thermodynamics is a macroscopic approach that studies the behavior of systems in terms of variables like temperature, pressure, and volume, without considering the individual particles that make up the system. On the other hand, statistical mechanics is a microscopic approach that describes the behavior of systems in terms of the statistical properties of individual particles, such as their positions and velocities.

2. How do thermodynamics and statistical mechanics relate to each other?

While thermodynamics provides a macroscopic description of systems in equilibrium, statistical mechanics provides a microscopic explanation for the macroscopic behavior observed in thermodynamics. Statistical mechanics helps to bridge the gap between the behavior of individual particles and the overall properties of systems studied in thermodynamics.

3. What are the fundamental principles of thermodynamics?

The fundamental principles of thermodynamics include the zeroth law, which establishes the concept of temperature and thermal equilibrium, the first law (conservation of energy), the second law (entropy and the direction of processes), and the third law (behavior of systems at absolute zero temperature).

4. How is entropy related to thermodynamics and statistical mechanics?

In thermodynamics, entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system and is related to the second law, which states that the entropy of an isolated system tends to increase over time. In statistical mechanics, entropy is related to the number of microscopic configurations that are consistent with the macroscopic properties of the system.

5. What are some applications of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics?

Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics have numerous applications in various fields, including engineering (design of heat engines and refrigeration systems), chemistry (reaction kinetics and equilibrium), biology (cellular processes and protein folding), and material science (phase transitions and properties of materials).