Partial Derivatives of U w.r.t. T and ##\mu## at Fixed N

In summary: U=U(\mu,T,V) and \mu=\mu(N,T,V) to match the notation in the original equation.)Yes, your professor's input was very helpful.
Silviu

Homework Statement

Show that ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}|_{N} = \frac{\partial U}{\partial T}|_{\mu} + \frac{\partial U}{\partial \mu}|_{T} \frac{\partial \mu}{\partial T}|_{N} ## (Pathria, 3rd Edition, pg. 197)

Homework Equations

##U=TS + \mu N - pV##

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take the derivative of U with respect with T at constant N and then at constant ##\mu## but I can't get the term on the right. I am not sure how can I get a product of 2 derivatives, because in taking derivatives in ##U=TS + \mu N - pV## I always have a derivative times a number (for example ##T\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}|_N##). What should I do? Is there another way other than using this formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a suggestion=perhaps the book is correct, but they appear to be using ## U=U(N,\mu,T) ##, so that in taking ## \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{T}} ##, both ## N ## and ## \mu ## should be held constant.

Charles Link said:
Just a suggestion=perhaps the book is correct, but they appear to be using ## U=U(N,\mu,T) ##, so that in taking ## \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{T}} ##, both ## N ## and ## \mu ## should be held constant. Likewise for the other partial derivatives.
OK, But does this leads to having a term with 2 derivatives. I might have stuff like ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}|_{N,\mu}## or something similar, but I still don't see how do I get a product of 2 derivatives. Thank you!

Silviu said:
OK, But does this leads to having a term with 2 derivatives. I might have stuff like ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}|_{N,\mu}## or something similar, but I still don't see how do I get a product of 2 derivatives. Thank you!
I'm going to need to study it further. It looks like it might take a little work if it is correct.

Charles Link said:
I'm going to need to study it further. It looks like it might take a little work if it is correct.
With a little further thought, it seems taking a partial with only holding one other variable constant is ambiguous, because on the multi-dimensional surface, you can not precisely define how much the quantity ## U ## will change. It allows multiple paths depending on what you do with the 3rd variable. @Chestermiller Might you offer an input here?

Charles Link said:
With a little further thought, it seems taking a partial with only holding one other variable constant is ambiguous, because on the multi-dimensional surface, you can not precisely define how much the quantity ## U ## will change. It allows multiple paths depending on what you do with the 3rd variable. @Chestermiller Might you offer an input here?
But even if you keep 2 constant at each derivation, I am still not sure how to prove it.

Silviu said:
But even if you keep 2 constant at each derivation, I am still not sure how to prove it.
If you look at the term on the left and the first term on the right, if you include the third variable in both of the partial derivatives to be held constant, these two are then the same. IMO the equation is mathematically unsound, but perhaps @Chestermiller can add to that and/or possibly concur.

U is typically a function of 3 parameters, usually S, V, and N. So two parameters need to be held constant in those partial derivatives. What is the other parameter?

Chestermiller said:
U is typically a function of 3 parameters, usually S, V, and N. So two parameters need to be held constant in those partial derivatives. What is the other parameter?
The author is using ## N ## , ## \mu ##, and ## T ## as the 3 parameters, but he's only holding one constant at a time. To me this appears to be mathematically unsound.

Charles Link said:
The author is using ## N ## , ## \mu ##, and ## T ## as the 3 parameters, but he's only holding one constant at a time. To me this appears to be mathematically unsound.
I asked my professor and he told me that for ##C_n## N and V must be held constant and for ##C_\mu##, ##\mu## and V must be held constant in order to solve the problem. Does this help?

Likes Charles Link
Silviu said:
I asked my professor and he told me that for ##C_n## N and V must be held constant and for ##C_\mu##, ##\mu## and V must be held constant in order to solve the problem. Does this help?
That is very helpful=I solved it now=I will post it momentarily. ## \\ ##
## U=U(N,T,V) ## and ## N=N(\mu,T,V) ## so that ## U=U(\mu,T,V) ## and ## \mu=\mu(N,T,V) ##. ## \\ ##
## (\frac{\partial{U(N,T,V)}}{\partial{T}})_{N,V}=(\frac{\partial{U(\mu,T,V)}}{\partial{T}})_{N,V}=(\frac{\partial{U(\mu,T,V)}}{\partial{\mu}})_{T,V}(\frac{\partial{\mu(N,T,V)}}{\partial{T}})_{N,V}+(\frac{\partial{U(\mu,T,V)}}{\partial{T}})_{\mu,V} ##. ## \\ ##
Yes, your professor's input was very helpful. (Note: Ten minutes after posting= I just edited the T, V subscript in the first term after the second "=" sign from an incorrect N,V subscript)

Last edited:
Likes Silviu
Charles Link said:
@Silviu Please see the latest editing on the previous post.
Thank you so much for help. But I am a bit confused about the math behind it. Is this like a chain rule, when you keep some variable constants?

Silviu said:
Thank you so much for help. But I am a bit confused about the math behind it. Is this like a chain rule, when you keep some variable constants?
Very much so=the chain rule. You go through the list of variables and take the appropriate derivatives, and skip over any variables that are held constant.

Charles Link said:
Very much so=the chain rule. You go through the list of variables and take the appropriate derivatives, and skip over any variables that are held constant.
OK, makes sense. Thank you so so much!

Likes Charles Link

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are mathematical tools used to measure the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. In other words, it measures how much a function changes as one variable changes, while keeping all other variables fixed.

2. What is the significance of taking partial derivatives of U w.r.t. T and ##\mu## at fixed N?

When studying a system with multiple variables, taking partial derivatives of a function with respect to specific variables at fixed values of other variables can help us understand how the function is affected by each variable. In the case of U w.r.t. T and ##\mu## at fixed N, it can tell us how changes in temperature and chemical potential (a measure of energy) affect the internal energy of a system with a fixed number of particles.

3. How are partial derivatives of U w.r.t. T and ##\mu## at fixed N calculated?

The partial derivatives of U w.r.t. T and ##\mu## at fixed N can be calculated using the chain rule from calculus. This involves taking the derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest, while treating all other variables as constants. For example, for U w.r.t. T at fixed N, the chain rule would be used to find the derivative of U with respect to T, treating N as a constant.

4. What do the values of partial derivatives of U w.r.t. T and ##\mu## at fixed N tell us about a system?

The values of these partial derivatives can tell us about the sensitivity of the system to changes in temperature and chemical potential. A higher partial derivative with respect to T indicates that the system is more sensitive to changes in temperature, while a higher partial derivative with respect to ##\mu## indicates that the system is more sensitive to changes in chemical potential.

5. How are partial derivatives of U w.r.t. T and ##\mu## at fixed N used in practical applications?

Partial derivatives of U w.r.t. T and ##\mu## at fixed N are commonly used in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics to analyze the thermodynamic properties of a system. They can also be used in practical applications such as engineering and materials science to understand how changes in temperature and energy can affect the behavior of a system.