Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specification of the boundary condition in high order PDE

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I'm asking a question about the number of the boundary conditions in high-order PDE. Say, we are solving the nonlinear Burger's equation
    [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}+u\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\nu \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex] subject to the initial condition [itex]u(x,0)=g(x)[/itex] with addition boundary condition.
    I saw in some references that the boundary condition is specified as [itex]u(0,t)=f(t)[/itex]. So there is only one boundary condition at the origin, while for completeness, I think there should be another boundary condition for the viscous term. What I suppose is that the implicit unsaid is [itex]u(\infty,t)=0[/itex]. But I don't know, it's a guess.

Could you who are experienced in PDE clarify what's the physical meaning of only specifying a boundary condition at the origin even for a high-order PDE? And to what extent is this formulation mathematically sound? Thank.

Jo

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

The usual assumption is [itex]u(\infty,t) = 0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook