1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spectra of small molecule and computed spectra

1. Aug 15, 2007 #1

I am calculating the spectra of a small molecule - benzen with nitrogen group attach. I have some experimental data of the molecule IR and raman.
    I use DFT B3LYP with TVZ as basis set when I compare the modes and are a lot of differences between the two.

1. Would it help to increase the size of the basis sets?
    2. How big a deviation should one expect?

The calculation is in gas whereas the experiment is in water - that should change the location of some of the modes.

Any comments appreciated thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume that you are comparing the calculated frequencies with the experimental ones? If so, it is very likely that the calculated frequencies are somewhat higher than the experimental ones. Is this the difference you are seeing?
  4. Aug 16, 2007 #3
    yes it is this difference. Is there a way to determine if one is going to use DFT which functionals to use and the size of the basis set in order to optimise the calculation?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?