1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name the given Phenol organic molecule

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hi.
    In my chemistry book, one of the questions was to name the given organic molecule. What was given was a benzene ring with a single -OH functional group attached. Immediately, i recognized it as phenol, but i also said its conventional name was benzenol.

When i turned to the answers, they said it was either phenol or hydroxybenzene.

My question is this: why should it be named with the prefix for alcohol functional groups, rather than the suffix, since it is the only functional group present?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cyclic compounds like cyclohexane or benzene can be named as the parent hydrocarbon. Hydroxy benzene is the name for phenol just as methyl benzene is the name for toluene.

4. Sep 4, 2007 #3

danago

Gold Member

Oh, ok. Thanks for that :smile:

So a cyclohexane with an -OH functional group would be called hydroxycyclohexane?

5. Sep 4, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It could be. Or it could be called by its other name, cyclohexanol. Welcome to the mad, mad, mad world of organic chemistry.

6. Sep 5, 2007 #5

danago

Gold Member

Ahh mad indeed.
    So does it just come down to the conventions my teacher wants me to use?

7. Sep 5, 2007 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welll, it is a little better organized than that. Your teacher would want to teach you what you might encounter out 'there'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?