When is acceleration positive when speed is decreasing?

In summary, the question is misleading and ambiguous as it does not specify whether "velocity is decreasing" refers to the magnitude or direction. However, if speed is decreasing and acceleration is positive, then the velocity must be decreasing in the opposite direction of the acceleration. This is because velocity is calculated as the speed in a specific direction, and if the speed is decreasing, the velocity must also decrease in the opposite direction. Additionally, it is important to remember the distinction between speed and velocity in math and physics.
SydneyQuynn

Homework Statement

True or False question:
If speed is decreasing and acceleration is positive, then velocity must be decreasing.

I answered "true" on a test and chose incorrectly.

Homework Equations

Why most velocity be increasing?

Physics news on Phys.org
SydneyQuynn said:

Homework Statement

True or False question:
If speed is decreasing and acceleration is positive, then velocity must be decreasing.

Homework Equations

Velocity or acceleration (along a line) can be positive or negative; say positive = east and negative = west. Speed is always non-negative:
Speed = |Velocity|

So, if acceleration > 0 and speed is decreasing, velocity must be < 0; in other words, acceleration points east, but velocity points west. It is like you are driving west but putting on the brakes to slow down. Note that velocity is increasing (becoming less negative) even though speed is decreasing.

If it sounds confusing, just remember: while we may use the words "speed" and "velocity" almost interchangeably in casual conversation, in math and physics they are different and must be distinguished.

I agree with you!
The question is a bit confusing, mixing speed and velocity, but if speed is decreasing, whatever the acceleration is, speed and velocity will still be decreasing.

SydneyQuynn said:

Homework Statement

True or False question:

Homework Equations

That's an incredibly bad test question. The phrase "velocity is decreasing" is ambiguous. A reasonable interpretation of the phrase is "the magnitude of the velocity, i.e., the speed, is decreasing." I'd guess there are a number of people who missed that question despite having a good understanding of the physics.

What is the difference between speed, acceleration, and velocity?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while acceleration is the rate at which an object's speed changes. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

How are speed, acceleration, and velocity related?

Acceleration is a change in velocity, and velocity is a change in speed. In other words, acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes, and velocity is the rate at which an object's speed changes.

What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for speed is distance divided by time. This gives the average speed of an object over a certain period of time.

How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2). This represents the change in velocity per second.

Can an object have a high speed but low acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a high speed but low acceleration if it maintains a constant speed in a straight line. This means there is no change in velocity, and therefore no acceleration.