Why are v and a decreasing as the oribit radius increases?

• Thread starter simphys
  • Start date
simphys
Homework Statement:
The planets Venus, Earth, and Mars all move in approximately
circular orbits around the sun. Use the data in the table to find (a) the
speed of each planet in its orbit and (b) the centripetal acceleration of each
planet. (c) As the size of a planet’s orbit increases, does the speed increase
or decrease? Does the centripetal acceleration increase or decrease?

Planet Orbital radius (m): Venus 1.08 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 225
Planet Orbital radius (m): Earth 1.50 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 365
Planet Orbital radius (m): Mars 2.28 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 687
Relevant Equations:
a = v^2 / R
I don't understand part (c) the answer is decreasing for both. I would have it decreasing for the centripetal acceleration and then increasing for the velocity, why is that not correct?

Thanks in advance!

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You have been given ##R## and ##T## so you can calculate v -- if you have the right relevant equation (not ##a = v^2 / R##). You see the ##v## are decreasing with ##R##.
I would have it decreasing for the centripetal acceleration and then increasing for the velocity, why is that not correct?
Well, perhaps you have the wrong relevant equation ? What does ##a## have to do with anything ?

##\ ##

simphys
You have been given ##R## and ##T## so you can calculate v -- if you have the right relevant equation (not ##a = v^2 / R##). You see the ##v## are decreasing with ##R##.

Well, perhaps you have the wrong relevant equation ? What does ##a## have to do with anything ?

##\ ##
not the right one?? So are we talking Kepler's law that or something like that??

That is strange.. this chapter is about 2d-3d motion, I don't know orbital motions yet.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Homework Statement:: The planets Venus, Earth, and Mars all move in approximately
circular orbits around the sun. Use the data in the table to find (a) the
speed of each planet in its orbit and (b) the centripetal acceleration of each
planet. (c) As the size of a planet’s orbit increases, does the speed increase
or decrease? Does the centripetal acceleration increase or decrease?

Planet Orbital radius (m): Venus 1.08 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 225
Planet Orbital radius (m): Earth 1.50 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 365
Planet Orbital radius (m): Mars 2.28 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 687
Relevant Equations:: a = v^2 / R

I don't understand part (c) the answer is decreasing for both. I would have it decreasing for the centripetal acceleration and then increasing for the velocity, why is that not correct?

Thanks in advance!
The planets are held in orbit by the Sun's gravity, which obeys an inverse square law. Everything follows from that.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For a circular orbit, the ##a## is constant and provided by the force of gravity -- for which you can think up a relevant equation of the form ##a=\ldots \ ##.

The two ##a## drop out and there remains something of the form ##v\propto \ldots \ ##.

##\ ##

simphys
For a circular orbit, the ##a## is constant and provided by the force of gravity -- for which you can think up a relevant equation of the form ##a=\ldots \ ##.

The two ##a## drop out and there remains something of the form ##v\propto \ldots \ ##.

##\ ##
The planets are held in orbit by the Sun's gravity, which obeys an inverse square law. Everything follows from that.
is this law a = 1/d^2 by any chance, if not it is okay. if so it'd be decreasing.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Well, perhaps you have the wrong relevant equation ? What does a have to do with anything ?
I disagree. It is the only relevant equation to compute acceleration from the given data apart from the equation for finding the velocity. That this is caused by Newton’s law of gravitation is a separate issue.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
is this law a = 1/d^2 by any chance, if not it is okay. if so it'd be decreasing.
The gravitational force decreases with distance, hence so must the centripetal acceleration. It would be better if you equated these formulas to obtain expressions for ##a## and ##v##.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The gravitational force decreases with distance, hence so must the centripetal acceleration. It would be better if you equated these formulas to obtain expressions for ##a## and ##v##.
Again, I do not believe that that is the purpose of this assignment. The assignment gives radius and orbital period and together with the kinematics of circular motion this is sufficient. The reference to gravity as the centripetal force is superfluous. In fact, the given data leads us to conclude the inverse square law for gravitational acceleration rather than assuming it as input.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Again, I do not believe that that is the purpose of this assignment. The assignment gives radius and orbital period and together with the kinematics of circular motion this is sufficient. The reference to gravity as the centripetal force is superfluous. In fact, the given data leads us to conclude the inverse square law for gravitational acceleration rather than assuming it as input.
You're right. I didn't read the question!

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I downplayed ##a## and at the same time put ##a=a## at center stage. Appears inconsistent, so oro objected. I meant to steer away from the value to the two proportionalities, one as1/r, the other as 1/r^2.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I downplayed ##a## and at the same time put ##a=a## at center stage. Appears inconsistent, so oro objected. I meant to steer away from the value to the two proportionalities, one as1/r, the other as 1/r^2.
Solving the problem requires the relationship between the radius and circumference of a circle. The importance of elementary geometry! :smile:

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Solving the problem requires the relationship between the radius and circumference of a circle. The importance of elementary geometry! :smile:
Technically, for (c), you just need to know that there is a linear relationship 😉

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Technically, for (c), you just need to know that there is a linear relationship 😉
That's what I meant! :smile:

simphys
That's what I meant! :smile:
yeah, yeah of course guys, but.. a = 4pi^2R / T^2 gives us an increase no decrease? That's what I don't get

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
yeah, yeah of course guys, but.. a = 4pi^2R / T^2 gives us an increase no decrease? That's what I don't get
I think you are just supposed to calculate and compare six numbers (in whatever units you prefer): centripetal acceleration of Venus, Earth and Mars; and, orbital speed of Venus, Earth and Mars.

simphys
I think you are just supposed to calculate and compare six numbers (in whatever units you prefer): centripetal acceleration of Venus, Earth and Mars; and, orbital speed of Venus, Earth and Mars.
What do you mean?
It's about part c right? where there needs to be answered with increase/decrease of centripetal acceleration and velocity as the radius is increasing

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
No, it does not because T and R are not independent. You need to actually compute the velocity and acceleration and see what comes out.

simphys
No, it does not because T and R are not independent. You need to actually compute the velocity and acceleration and see what comes out.
Got it, thanks guys!

Suggested for: Why are v and a decreasing as the oribit radius increases?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views