1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed at which two charges collide

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Point charge A of mass m for which q=-Q is held in place as point charge B of mass m for which q=+Q is released from rest at a distance x. What is the speed of charge B as it collides with charge a? (This isn't an actual problem we have, just something that I was wondering as we're starting E&M)

2. Relevant equations

Fe=kqq/r^2

E=kqq/r

Potential energy = Kinetic energy

3. The attempt at a solution

I started out with an a(x) equation but didn't get beyond that as I couldn't find how to work with functions of time instead of position. Can you do this by just converting the potential energy at rest to kinetic energy? I feel like there should be more to it because the acceleration goes to infinity as b gets closer and closer to a.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2
    Just gave it some more thought and realized the U -> KE idea doesn't make sense (U increases as x decreases)... can anyone point me in the right direction?

4. Feb 12, 2012 #3
    Alright, new idea: would it be easier instead to find the time it takes for a positive charge to collide with a negative charge that is held in place a distance r away from where the positive charge starts?

It's probably easier to find the time it takes the moving charge to move from r to r-x away from the stationary charge, so to find it could we take the limit as x approaches r of some equation? I have no idea what that would be, though.

5. Feb 12, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello djrkeys4. Welcome to PF !

I doubt that you will ever see this problem in a textbook. The potential energy → -∞ as x → 0 . Therefore, the kinetic energy → +∞ as x → 0 .
    I haven't worked it out, but I'm pretty sure that it is possible to find the time it takes for the particles to collide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook