Speed at which two charges collide

In summary: However, the equations and methods used will depend on the starting distance x and the masses and charges of the particles. It is also important to take into account any external forces or fields that may affect the motion of the particles. In summary, the question is asking for the speed of charge B as it collides with charge A, but the solution may involve finding the time it takes for the particles to collide instead. The approach and equations used will depend on the specific values given for the masses, charges, and starting distance between the particles.
djrkeys4

Homework Statement

Point charge A of mass m for which q=-Q is held in place as point charge B of mass m for which q=+Q is released from rest at a distance x. What is the speed of charge B as it collides with charge a? (This isn't an actual problem we have, just something that I was wondering as we're starting E&M)

Homework Equations

Fe=kqq/r^2

E=kqq/r

Potential energy = Kinetic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out with an a(x) equation but didn't get beyond that as I couldn't find how to work with functions of time instead of position. Can you do this by just converting the potential energy at rest to kinetic energy? I feel like there should be more to it because the acceleration goes to infinity as b gets closer and closer to a.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just gave it some more thought and realized the U -> KE idea doesn't make sense (U increases as x decreases)... can anyone point me in the right direction?

Alright, new idea: would it be easier instead to find the time it takes for a positive charge to collide with a negative charge that is held in place a distance r away from where the positive charge starts?

It's probably easier to find the time it takes the moving charge to move from r to r-x away from the stationary charge, so to find it could we take the limit as x approaches r of some equation? I have no idea what that would be, though.

djrkeys4 said:

Homework Statement

Point charge A of mass m for which q=-Q is held in place as point charge B of mass m for which q=+Q is released from rest at a distance x. What is the speed of charge B as it collides with charge a? (This isn't an actual problem we have, just something that I was wondering as we're starting E&M)

Homework Equations

Fe=kqq/r^2

E=kqq/r

Potential energy = Kinetic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out with an a(x) equation but didn't get beyond that as I couldn't find how to work with functions of time instead of position. Can you do this by just converting the potential energy at rest to kinetic energy? I feel like there should be more to it because the acceleration goes to infinity as b gets closer and closer to a.
Hello djrkeys4. Welcome to PF !

I doubt that you will ever see this problem in a textbook. The potential energy → -∞ as x → 0 . Therefore, the kinetic energy → +∞ as x → 0 .
djrkeys4 said:
Alright, new idea: would it be easier instead to find the time it takes for a positive charge to collide with a negative charge that is held in place a distance r away from where the positive charge starts?

It's probably easier to find the time it takes the moving charge to move from r to r-x away from the stationary charge, so to find it could we take the limit as x approaches r of some equation? I have no idea what that would be, though.
I haven't worked it out, but I'm pretty sure that it is possible to find the time it takes for the particles to collide.

To determine the speed at which two charges collide, we can use the principle of conservation of energy. At the moment of collision, the potential energy of the system is converted into kinetic energy. We can set up the equation as follows:

Potential energy at rest = Kinetic energy at collision

This can be written as:

kqQ/x = (1/2)mv^2

Where k is the Coulomb's constant, q and Q are the charges of the two particles, x is the distance between them, m is the mass of the particles, and v is the speed at collision.

Solving for v, we get:

v = √(2kqQ/mx)

Therefore, the speed of charge B at collision with charge A will depend on the masses and charges of the particles, as well as the distance between them. As the distance between the particles decreases, the speed at collision will increase, approaching infinity as the distance approaches zero. This is due to the inverse square relationship of the Coulomb force, which becomes increasingly stronger as the distance decreases.

What is the concept of speed at which two charges collide?

The speed at which two charges collide refers to the velocity at which two electrically charged particles come into contact with each other. This can be measured in meters per second or any other unit of speed.

How is the speed at which two charges collide calculated?

The speed at which two charges collide can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval.

What factors affect the speed at which two charges collide?

The speed at which two charges collide can be affected by the masses of the particles, the distance between them, and the electrical force between them.

Why is the speed at which two charges collide important in scientific research?

The speed at which two charges collide is important in scientific research as it helps us understand the behavior of electrically charged particles and their interactions. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as particle physics and electrochemistry.

Can the speed at which two charges collide be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the speed at which two charges collide can be controlled or manipulated by altering the factors that affect it, such as the masses of the particles or the electrical force between them. This can also be achieved by using external forces such as electric or magnetic fields.