1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed bump question - newton's laws

1. Mar 22, 2009 #1
    You're driving down the road at 8 m/s and go over a speed bump. When you go over the bump, you feel lifted from your seat. Explain why.

I assumed it was because of inertia, but I'm not sure.

You weigh 700 N. If it is approximated that the speed bump is shaped like an arc of a circle, with radius of 10 m, find the magnitude of force the seats exerts on you as you go over the speed bump.

If F = mv^2/r, then would you just plug everything in directly?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The seat normally pushes upward on you with 700 N (because you push down on it with 700 N weight). While in circular motion, though, you experience a centrifugal force upward that reduces the 700 N.

4. Mar 22, 2009 #3
    So while in circular motion, you aren't pushing down on the seat with 700 N so you are lifted up?

5. Mar 22, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

It is unlikely you will float up off the seat - that would take a terrific speed - but the force pressing you against the springs of the seat will be reduced so the spring compression will be less and you will go up a little bit.

6. Mar 22, 2009 #5
    But would the seat still exert 700 N upward? I mean, would I just plug in the numbers into the equation for the second part?

7. Mar 22, 2009 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

700 - mv^2/r

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook