Airplane pilot in a dive, net force, minimum speed, and normal force.

In summary, an airplane pilot pulls out of a dive by following at constant speed, the arc of a circle whose radius is 300 m. At the bottom of the circle her speed is 180 km/h. The minimum speed required so the pilot doesn't fall out at the top of the circle is 54.22 m/s.
timnswede

Homework Statement

A 65 kg airplane pilot pulls out of a dive by following at constant speed, the arc of a circle whose radius is 300 m. At the bottom of the circle her speed is 180 km/h.
a.) Calculate net force on pilot at bottom or circle.
b.) Calculate force exerted on pilot by seat at top and bottom of circle.
c.)Calculate minimum speed required so pilot doesn't fall out at top of circle if she's not wearing a seatbelt.

Homework Equations

Newton's second law, a=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) the only two forces I could think of are the normal and weight down. So net force would be zero since they cancel each other out?

For part b) at top: n+mg=(v^2/r)m, plugging in numbers I get -95.3 N.
For the bottom n-mg=(v^2/r)m, and I got 1179 N.

For part c.) n would = 0, so mg=(v^2/r)m, and plugging in numbers I get 54.22 m/s^2.

I'm not sure if I did part a) right, but I feel pretty confident about the other parts, did I go about doing those parts correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
timnswede said:
For part a) the only two forces I could think of are the normal and weight down. So net force would be zero since they cancel each other out?
If the net force is zero then there's no acceleration. Does an object moving in an arc at constant speed accelerate?

Oh, I should've thought of that, it does have acceleration since the direction is constantly changing. Would it be the answer I got for part b) then, 1179 N minus mg, 637? So 1179-637=542 N?

timnswede said:
Oh, I should've thought of that, it does have acceleration since the direction is constantly changing. Would it be the answer I got for part b) then, 1179 N minus mg, 637? So 1179-637=542 N?
No, a and b are not the same.
For a, what is the relationship between net force and acceleration?
For b, you have some signs wrong. Draw the FBD at top of circle. What forces apply in what directions? What must the net force be to move in a circle?

Well for part b I took the positive y-axis to be down at the top, I should've mentioned that, otherwise I'm not sure what would be wrong.
Net force and acceleration are towards the center of the circle in part a I think

timnswede said:
Well for part b I took the positive y-axis to be down at the top.
OK, but then be careful how you interpret the answer. For part b, top of circle you got a negative value. So is the seat pushing up on the pilot or down?
For part b, bottom of circle, even taking positive as down your answer is still wrong. Think that through again. E.g. which way is the centripetal force now?
Net force and acceleration are towards the center of the circle in part a I think
That's not what I asked. If the net force on a mass m is F and the resultant acceleration is a, what equation do you have? Apply that.

1. What is an airplane pilot in a dive?

An airplane pilot in a dive refers to when an aircraft is descending at a steep angle, typically with the nose of the plane pointed downward. This maneuver is often used to quickly lose altitude or to perform aerobatic stunts.

2. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by adding together all of the individual forces acting on the object.

3. What is minimum speed?

Minimum speed, also known as stall speed, is the lowest speed that an aircraft can maintain before it loses lift and begins to descend. It varies depending on factors such as weight, altitude, and weather conditions.

4. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. In the case of an airplane in flight, the normal force is equal and opposite to the weight of the aircraft, supporting it in the air.

5. How do these concepts relate to each other during an airplane pilot in a dive?

During an airplane pilot in a dive, the net force acting on the aircraft is directed downward, causing it to accelerate and increase in speed. The minimum speed of the aircraft is important to maintain to prevent stalling, and the normal force must be greater than the weight of the aircraft to keep it in flight.