Speed of a Wave: Solve for V in 4.6m and 7.4s

  • Thread starter Thread starter pmd28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Speed Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
pmd28
Messages
64
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A person fishing from a pier observes that five wave crests pass by in 7.4 s and estimates the distance between two successive crests to be 4.6 m. The timing starts with the first crest and ends with the fifth. What is the speed of the wave?



Homework Equations


f=1/T
v=λf

The Attempt at a Solution


I solved for the period first, so in 7.4 sec there was 5 waves. T=1.48
f=1/T=.6757
v=λf=4.6*(.6757)=3.11 m/s

I know my error has to do wit that sentence, "The timing starts with the first crest and ends with the fifth," but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a sketch of a wave and number the crests 1 through 5. How many wavelengths are contained between 1 and 5?
 
Good. So what should the period T actually be?