Wave Speed at the top, bottom, and middle of a Hanging Cord

In summary, the tension in the cord varies along the length and at different points the tension is the same.
FunkyFrap

Homework Statement

A hanging cord is attached to a fixed support at the top and is 78.0m long. It is stretched taut by a weight with mass 21.0kg attached at the lower end. The mass of the cord is 2.20kg . A device at the bottom oscillates the cord by tapping it sideways (Do not neglect the weight of the cord.)

1.) What is the wave speed at the bottom of the cord?

2.)What is the wave speed at the middle of the cord?

3.)What is the wave speed at the top of the cord?

Homework Equations

[itex]v = \sqrt{T/µ} [/itex]
where [itex]T[/itex] is the tension force on the string and [itex]µ[/itex] is the mass per unit length.

The Attempt at a Solution

After reading my text and browsing the forums for help it seems that the tension of a cord with non-negligible mass in this case is [itex]T = µ(m1 + m2)L[/itex] where [itex]m1[/itex] is the mass of the ball and [itex]m2[/itex] is the mass of the cord. [itex]T = \sqrt{µ(m1 + m2)*L/µ} = \sqrt{(m1 + m2)*L}[/itex]

Plugging in I obtain [itex]42.5 m/s[/itex]
Which seems to suggest that the speed is the same at every point. However I'm having serious doubts about the answer I've reached. Is that true? Or am I missing something very important here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The tension varies at different points along this rope. Consider a point on the rope at a distance x above the bottom of the rope. What must the tension at this point be?

Nathanael said:
The tension varies at different points along this rope. Consider a point on the rope at a distance x above the bottom of the rope. What must the tension at this point be?

After doing some force analysis, would it make sense to say that [itex] T = m1*g + µ*m2*x?[/itex]

FunkyFrap said:
After doing some force analysis, would it make sense to say that [itex] T = m1*g + µ*m2*x?[/itex]
I think you're on to something, but the dimensions are not correct. [itex]\mu m_2x[/itex] has dimensions of mass squared, but it's supposed to be in units of force.

See a piece of the cord (length Δy and mass Δm=μ Δy). It is acted upon by gravity and the tensions at its top and bottom. The downward forces are balanced by the upward tension T(y) of the upper piece of cord. The downward forces are gravity gΔm and the downward tension T(y+Δy).
T(y)=gΔm + T(y+Δy) or T(y+Δy) -T(y) = - μ Δy. The tension changes evenly along the cord, the slope is constant, T(y) can be represented by a straight line. At the bottom, the cord has to balance the hanging weight only. Write out T(y)...
massivestring.JPG

Nathanael said:
I think you're on to something, but the dimensions are not correct. [itex]\mu m_2x[/itex] has dimensions of mass squared, but it's supposed to be in units of force.
I think I got it now after doing some thinkingAt the bottom, only the weight matters, right? so [itex]T = m1*g[/itex]
At the middle, we have the weight and half(?) the cord so [itex]T = g*(m1 + 0.5m2)[/itex]
At the top, we have the weight and full-cord so [itex]T = g*(m1 + m2) [/itex]

Then I can solve for the respective wave speeds
I guess that [itex]T = µ*m*L[/itex] equation is bunk?

FunkyFrap said:
I guess that [itex]T = µ*m*L[/itex] equation is bunk?
That is completely wrong. Why do you think it can be correct at all? What is the dimension of the tension? Is it mass-squared?
You know the tensions at top, bottom, and middle already. If you think a bit, you could write out the function T(x).

FunkyFrap said:
At the bottom, only the weight matters, right? so [itex]T = m1*g[/itex]
At the middle, we have the weight and half(?) the cord so [itex]T = g*(m1 + 0.5m2)[/itex]
At the top, we have the weight and full-cord so [itex]T = g*(m1 + m2) [/itex]
Right. Essentially, (for the purpose of finding the tension) you can treat the portion of the rope below the point x and the block as a single object. It's weight would be [itex]g(m_1+\mu x)=g(m_1+\frac{x}{L}m_2)[/itex]
(x is measured from the bottom)

1. What factors affect the wave speed of a hanging cord?

The wave speed of a hanging cord is affected by several factors, including tension, length, and the medium through which the wave is traveling. Other factors such as the amplitude and frequency of the wave may also play a role.

2. Does the wave speed change at different points along the hanging cord?

Yes, the wave speed can vary at different points along the hanging cord. This is because the tension may not be constant throughout the cord, causing variations in the wave speed. Additionally, the medium through which the wave is traveling may also affect the speed.

3. How does tension affect the wave speed at the top, bottom, and middle of a hanging cord?

Generally, an increase in tension will result in an increase in wave speed at all points along the hanging cord. This is because higher tension creates a stiffer and more taut cord, allowing the wave to travel faster. However, the exact relationship between tension and wave speed can vary depending on other factors.

4. Can the length of the hanging cord affect the wave speed?

Yes, the length of the hanging cord can have an impact on the wave speed. In general, a longer cord will result in a slower wave speed, as the wave has a longer distance to travel. This relationship can also be affected by other factors such as tension and the medium through which the wave is traveling.

5. How does the medium through which the wave is traveling affect the wave speed?

The medium through which the wave is traveling can have a significant impact on the wave speed. For example, a wave traveling through a denser medium, such as water, will typically have a slower speed compared to a wave traveling through air. The properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, can affect the wave speed in different ways.