Speed of light relative to universe expansion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 12K views
pervect said:
Do you have a reference that calls this the sagnac effect? I have some doubts that the term is being used properly - it seems to me that you are talking about simple doppler shift and calling it the "sagnac effect". AFAIK the sagnac effect only occurs in rotating systems. As I said, if you have a reference for this I'd like to see it.

pervect - I am citing these not for content, but for nomenclature

http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0609/0609202.pdf

Http://www.geocities.com/mail0110261847/npa/npa2007y.pdf

I will recheck that last link - may not be correct
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pervect - The link seems to work - take a look at page 8 for how this guy views the Sagnac phase shift as actually a translational affect.

I don't have a reference for the rectangle with the source/receiver moving with uniform velocity v along one leg - but by analogy with the rotation of the entire frame about some center point of the mirror system, the same phase shift should occur for v = wr and v = dx/dt so long as v is measured relative to the at rest lab frame. If you need more on the one way Sagnac - you might google one way Sagnac effect in GPS
 
Last edited: