Speed of propagation of sound wave?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
whitestork
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Assume a piano has 100 different notes from the lowest to highest. We go up from note to note by the same frequency ratio, say starting at 20 Hz. Assuming that the lowest frequency excites the basilar membrane, 30 mm long, at its end, and that this represents a quarter of a wavelength.

What is the speed of propagation of the sound wave in the inner ear?


Homework Equations


Frequency = velocity / wavelength (?)

The Attempt at a Solution


My attempt at the solution resulted in a velocity of 2.4 m/s, but I'm sure that I'm using the wrong equation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I started by calculating the wavelength of the lowest frequency, which would be 4.5 m. Then I calculated the frequency of the highest note, which would be 2000 Hz. Next, I used the equation f = v/λ which gave me a velocity of 2.4 m/s. But I'm not sure if this is the correct equation to use and if my answer is correct.