Speed of satellite in geosynchronous orbit

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an equation and solving for the speed of a satellite in geosynchronous orbit without using the value of the satellite's altitude or radius. The student is advised not to use rotational kinematics or Kepler's Laws. They share their solution and ask for confirmation on whether they have used rotational kinematics. The conversation also suggests using rotational velocity and acceleration in the calculations.
glennib

Homework Statement

Derive an equation and solve for the speed of a satellite in geosynchronous orbit. You may NOT use the value of the satellite's altitude or radius in your calculations. If you do, you will receive no credit.

• You should use your knowledge of forces and uniform circular motion for this assignment.
  • DO NOT use the rotational kinematics from chapter 10. If you do you will receive NO credit.
  • DO NOT attempt to apply Kepler's Laws. If you do you will receive NO credit.

Homework Equations

I have arrived at a solution, but I suspect that I have used rotational kinematics. Can someone confirm or dismiss this?

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a screenshot from my Maple work. It is relationship1 (1) and (2) that I am worried about.
jk7lT4o.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
glennib said:
I have arrived at a solution, but I suspect that I have used rotational kinematics. Can someone confirm or dismiss this?

Here is a screenshot from my Maple work. It is relationship1 (1) and (2) that I am worried about.

If I recall, rotational kinematics is full of ω's, and such associated terms. Step 1 is the formula for a period, and step 2 is just the application of centripetal motion.

I think your work in regards to your rules/restrictions looks fine, but I strongly advise you not to take my word for it, and just double check that my suggestions are valid.

Actually, I just remembered that rotational velocity = v/r, and that rotational acceleration = a/r. So yeah, if that helps, use it.

What is the definition of geosynchronous orbit?

Geosynchronous orbit refers to an orbit in which a satellite moves around the Earth at the same speed and direction as the Earth's rotation, allowing it to maintain a constant position above a specific location on the Earth's surface.

What is the speed of a satellite in geosynchronous orbit?

The speed of a satellite in geosynchronous orbit is approximately 3.07 kilometers per second, or 6,876 miles per hour, which is equal to the speed of the Earth's rotation at the equator.

How is the speed of a satellite in geosynchronous orbit calculated?

The speed of a satellite in geosynchronous orbit is calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where v is the speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the satellite and the center of the Earth.

What factors can affect the speed of a satellite in geosynchronous orbit?

The speed of a satellite in geosynchronous orbit can be affected by changes in the Earth's mass or rotation, as well as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies. It can also be affected by external forces such as atmospheric drag and solar radiation pressure.

Can the speed of a satellite in geosynchronous orbit be changed?

Yes, the speed of a satellite in geosynchronous orbit can be changed by adjusting its altitude or by using thrusters to increase or decrease its velocity. However, this may also affect its position in the orbit and require recalculating its speed to maintain a geosynchronous orbit.