Communications satellites in geosynchronous orbit

In summary, the apparent weight of a 2000 kg satellite in a geosynchronous orbit is not simply its centripetal acceleration, but also the force of Earth's gravity at the orbit's radius. The correct equation to use is F = mg', where g' is the value of g at the orbit's radius. Using this equation, the apparent weight of the satellite is not zero, as previously calculated, but rather 447.36 N.
thor0403

Homework Statement

Communications satellites are placed in a circular orbit where they stay directly over a fixed point on the equator as the Earth rotates. These are called geosynchronous orbits. The altitude of a geosynchronous orbit is 3.58*10^7 m.

What is the apparent weight of a 2000 kg satellite in a geosynchronous orbit?

Homework Equations

F = MA

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the acceleration to be .223 m/s/s at it's altitude and I need to find the apparent weight.

I plugged the acceleration at that altitude and the mass given into the equation above and found the force to be 447.36 N. This answer was not correct.

Am I using the right equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have found is the centripetal acceleration of the satellite. Imagine placing a platform scale "under" the satellite to "weigh it". The centripetal acceleration points toward the center of the Earth, so this will certainly be one part of the "apparent weight".

But don't forget that the satellite is also in the Earth's "gravity field". How is the value of g at the surface of the Earth calculated (what equation do you use and what values go into it?) ? What is the value of g at geosynchronous radius*? That value -- call it g' -- goes into mg' ; that also points toward the center of Earth, and so is the other part of the "apparent weight", due to the attraction of Earth's mass.

*remember to use the RADIUS of the orbit, and not its altitude above the Earth's surface

thor0403 said:

Homework Statement

Communications satellites are placed in a circular orbit where they stay directly over a fixed point on the equator as the Earth rotates. These are called geosynchronous orbits. The altitude of a geosynchronous orbit is 3.58*10^7 m.

What is the apparent weight of a 2000 kg satellite in a geosynchronous orbit?

Homework Equations

F = MA

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the acceleration to be .223 m/s/s at it's altitude and I need to find the apparent weight.

I plugged the acceleration at that altitude and the mass given into the equation above and found the force to be 447.36 N. This answer was not correct.

Am I using the right equation?

Was the answer by any chance given as ZERO ?

1. What is a geosynchronous orbit?

A geosynchronous orbit is a type of orbit where a satellite orbits the Earth at the same speed as the Earth's rotation, allowing the satellite to stay in a fixed position relative to a specific location on Earth.

2. How are communications satellites placed in geosynchronous orbit?

Communications satellites are typically launched into a geosynchronous orbit using rockets. The satellite is placed into a geostationary transfer orbit, which is then adjusted to reach the desired geosynchronous orbit using thrusters on the satellite.

3. What are the benefits of using geosynchronous orbit for communications satellites?

One of the main benefits of geosynchronous orbit for communications satellites is that it provides continuous coverage over a specific area on Earth. This is especially useful for satellite communication, television broadcasting, and other applications that require constant connectivity.

4. How do communications satellites in geosynchronous orbit maintain their position?

Communications satellites in geosynchronous orbit use onboard thrusters to make small adjustments to their position in order to counteract any gravitational or atmospheric forces that may cause them to drift. This allows them to stay in a fixed position relative to a specific location on Earth.

5. Are there any challenges associated with geosynchronous orbit for communications satellites?

One of the main challenges with geosynchronous orbit for communications satellites is the limited number of available slots in this orbit. This can lead to issues with overcrowding and potential interference between satellites. Additionally, the high altitude of geosynchronous orbit makes it more difficult and costly to launch and maintain satellites in this orbit compared to other orbits.