1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speical relativity problem: How Tall Really Is Your Favorite Superhero?

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1

jlk

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are at the top of the Empire State Building on the 102nd floor, which is located 373m above the ground, when your favorite superhero flies over the building parallel to the ground at 70.0% the speed of light.

You have never seen your favorite superhero in real life. Out of curiosity you calculate her height to be 1.43m . If the superhero landed next to you, how tall would she be when standing?

What is the height of the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building as measured by the superhero while flying above it?

I'm not sure how to start the problem, but i do know you will have to use that formula.

2. Relevant equations

L= L0 square root of (1- v2/c2)

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you start by identifying what each of the variables in the equation are and what they mean?

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3

jlk

i figure it out :)
    thanks though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?