Speical relativity problem: How Tall Really Is Your Favorite Superhero?

• Thread starter jlk
  • Start date
jlk

Homework Statement

You are at the top of the Empire State Building on the 102nd floor, which is located 373m above the ground, when your favorite superhero flies over the building parallel to the ground at 70.0% the speed of light.

You have never seen your favorite superhero in real life. Out of curiosity you calculate her height to be 1.43m . If the superhero landed next to you, how tall would she be when standing?

What is the height of the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building as measured by the superhero while flying above it?

I'm not sure how to start the problem, but i do know you will have to use that formula.

Homework Equations

L= L0 square root of (1- v2/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

You are at the top of the Empire State Building on the 102nd floor, which is located 373m above the ground, when your favorite superhero flies over the building parallel to the ground at 70.0% the speed of light.

You have never seen your favorite superhero in real life. Out of curiosity you calculate her height to be 1.43m . If the superhero landed next to you, how tall would she be when standing?

What is the height of the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building as measured by the superhero while flying above it?

I'm not sure how to start the problem, but i do know you will have to use that formula.

Homework Equations

L= L0 square root of (1- v2/c2)
Can you start by identifying what each of the variables in the equation are and what they mean?

jlk
i figure it out :)
thanks though.