Variable light speed and speical relativity

In summary, it sounds like the VSL theory is a possible solution to the horizon problem, but there isn't enough evidence to support it yet.
Mr. Burns
I was reading about the VSL theory as an alternative solution to inflation that solves the horizon problem. My question is, wouldn't special relativity still hold true, just to a different value of c in the early universe? As in, if we have a varying value of c, wouldn't it still hold true that mass would increase as it neared c?

Space news on Phys.org
I don't know for sure but that sounds correct.

Mr. Burns said:
I was reading about the VSL theory as an alternative solution to inflation that solves the horizon problem. My question is, wouldn't special relativity still hold true, just to a different value of c in the early universe? As in, if we have a varying value of c, wouldn't it still hold true that mass would increase as it neared c?
From what I've been able to gather, the people who were working on this a few years back largely just lost interest in it, as it didn't seem that likely, so the idea was never fully-developed. One of the main difficulties with this sort of model is that it is very difficult to produce reheating.

Did it (VSL theory) ever make any predictions? Did it also explain the relic particle problem or the flatness problem?

Not particularly. It seems to me that it was a way to solve the horizon problem, and had a few party tricks (such as a way to explain the creation of all matter by violating the law of conservation of matter), but was just another, "this seems reasonable, let's follow it" kind of theory. But my question still is, assuming that light traveled faster, as fast in the kaluza-klein 4th spatial demention, why wouldn't relativity hold? C is different, yes, but if einstein was right, it would still limit how fast matter would travel.

I'm unaware of any observational signatures supporting the idea.

What is variable light speed?

Variable light speed refers to the concept that the speed of light can change depending on the medium it is traveling through. In a vacuum, the speed of light is constant at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. However, in other mediums such as air or water, the speed of light can be slower.

How does variable light speed relate to special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how time and space are affected by the movement of objects at high speeds. The theory states that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative velocities. This means that the concept of variable light speed is crucial to understanding special relativity.

Can variable light speed be observed in everyday life?

Yes, variable light speed can be observed in everyday life. For example, when light travels from air into water, it slows down and changes direction, which is why objects underwater appear distorted. Similarly, when light travels from air into a diamond, it slows down even more and creates the sparkling effect we see.

What is the significance of the constant speed of light in special relativity?

The constant speed of light in special relativity has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It means that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative velocities. This forms the basis of many fundamental principles, such as the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc^2) and the concept of time dilation.

How does special relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity tells us that time and space are not absolute, but are instead relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that two observers may measure different lengths and durations of events depending on their relative velocities. It also explains phenomena such as the twin paradox, where one twin ages less than the other due to differences in their relative velocities.