Spherical Boundary condition problem

In summary, the value of the two "A" constants, A0 and A1, were found by setting like coefficients of each power of cosine theta equal on both sides of the equation. The boundary condition for the problem only required the zero and first power of cosine theta, so only the A0 and A1 terms were necessary in the solution. Legendre polynomials were used in the solution, where P0(cos(theta))=1 and P1(cos(theta))=cos(theta).
Mike Jonese
help.jpg

Homework Statement

I'm trying to keep the post brief and will post more info if needed. But I am trying to understand how the value of two "A" constants were found. This is from Griffiths Electrodynamics.
In this part of the problem, I am given a boundary condition that is a function of theta. The problem requires legendre polynomials. Apparently you only need to first two terms when l=0 , l=1 in the sum to get a solution, not an infinite sum, I am not sure I understand why, or what that means.
Question 1) How did they get the value of A0, A1
Question 2) Why do we only need the terms when l=0 and l=1 and not all the other ones, how did we know we only need l=0,l=1

Homework Equations

1. is the boundary condition
2. is just the boundary condition rewritten using half angle top look like Pl(cos(theta))
3. is the solution sum that apparently you plug 2 into and get the value for constants A0, A1

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I a overlooking something obvious but can't figure out how they "read off" the values of those constants
Thank you very much for any insight - Mike

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 716
Physics news on Phys.org
The boundary condition is the first equation, which can be rewritten with a trigonometric identity as the second equation. The boundary condition only contains the zero and first power of ## \cos(\theta) ##, so it only requires the ## A_o ## and ## A_1 ## terms. ## \\ ## Note: ## P_o(\cos(\theta))=1 ##, and ## P_1(\cos(\theta))=\cos(\theta) ##. ## \\ ## Note: In the summation, it is ## A_i r^i P_i(\cos(\theta)) ##. (The copy you have there didn't seem to distinguish ## i ## and ## 1 ##. It should also use a small ## r ##). ## \\ ## Additional note: The boundary condition is more properly written as ## V(R, \theta, \phi)=k \sin^2(\theta/2) ##, i.e. it gives ## V(r,\theta, \phi) ## for ## r=R ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
The boundary condition is the first equation, which can be rewritten with a trigonometric identity as the second equation. The boundary condition only contains the zero and first power of ## \cos(\theta) ##, so it only requires the ## A_o ## and ## A_1 ## terms. ## \\ ## Note: ## P_o(\cos(\theta))=1 ##, and ## P_1(\cos(\theta))=\cos(\theta) ##. ## \\ ## Note: In the summation, it is ## A_i r^i P_i(\cos(\theta)) ##. (The copy you have there didn't seem to distinguish ## i ## and ## 1 ##. It should also use a small ## r ##). ## \\ ## Additional note: The boundary condition is more properly written as ## V(R, \theta, \phi)=k \sin^2(\theta/2) ##, i.e. it gives ## V(r,\theta, \phi) ## for ## r=R ##.
Oh ok! I used a lowercase l in mathmatica it probably would have been better to use i or n. Also (in the actual problem that this is coming from, that is that boundary condition on the surface of a sphere at radius R, so I r=R in this case. What you said makes sense but how do you actually find the values of A0 and A1? Thanks again

Mike Jonese said:
Oh ok! I used a lowercase l in mathmatica it probably would have been better to use i or n. Also (in the actual problem that this is coming from, that is that boundary condition on the surface of a sphere at radius R, so I r=R in this case. What you said makes sense but how do you actually find the values of A0 and A1? Thanks again
You simply set like coefficients of each power of ## cos(\theta) ## equal on both sides of the equation where you write ## V(R, \theta, \phi)=boundary \, equation=summation \, expression \, with \, r=R ##. This one was simple. It can get more complicated for cases where powers of two and higher are involved, because the Legendre polynomials of higher order contain lower order terms of ## cos(\theta) ## besides the nth power.

Last edited:

1. What is a spherical boundary condition problem?

A spherical boundary condition problem is a type of problem in physics and mathematics that involves finding solutions to equations within a spherical region. This region is typically bounded by a spherical surface, and the boundary conditions are specified at this surface. These types of problems are common in fields such as electromagnetism, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics.

2. What are the applications of spherical boundary condition problems?

Spherical boundary condition problems have many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. They can be used to study the behavior of electromagnetic waves in spherical cavities, heat transfer in spherical objects, and fluid flow around spherical obstacles. They are also used in astrophysics to model the gravitational effects of celestial bodies.

3. How are spherical boundary condition problems solved?

There are various methods for solving spherical boundary condition problems, depending on the specific equations and boundary conditions involved. Analytical techniques such as separation of variables and series solutions can be used for simple problems with known boundary conditions. For more complex problems, numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods are employed.

4. What are some challenges associated with solving spherical boundary condition problems?

One of the main challenges in solving spherical boundary condition problems is the complexity of the equations and boundary conditions involved. These problems often require advanced mathematical techniques and can be time-consuming to solve. Additionally, the accuracy of the solutions can be affected by the choice of numerical methods and grid size.

5. Are there any real-world examples of spherical boundary condition problems?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of spherical boundary condition problems. Some notable examples include studying the temperature distribution in a spherical object, calculating the electric field inside a spherical capacitor, and modeling the flow of air around a spherical spacecraft. These types of problems are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems in various applications.