1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary conditions of a bending plate

1. Dec 9, 2017 #1

kosovo dave

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to find the boundary conditions for the following problem:

A plate with length 2L is placed on supports at x = L/2 and x = - L/2. The plate is deforming elastically under its own weight (maximum displacement bowing up at x = 0). Both ends of the plate are free boundaries.

The goal is to eventually solve the equation DW'''' = q(x) for the right half of the plate (x > 0).
    2. Relevant equations
    D is the flexural rigidity $$\frac{Eh^3}{12(1-\nu^2)}$$

E is Young's Modulus, ν is Poisson's ratio, h is the thickness of the plate, and q = -ρgh.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the right end of the plate is free, I think the two boundary conditions there are DW''' = 0 (shear force) at x = L and DW'' = 0 (bending moment) at x = L. What are the quantities I should be considering for the boundary conditions at x = 0? I feel like one of them is bending stress.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2017 #2
    The bending moments and the displacements are zero at both ends. The reaction forces and shear forces are not.

4. Dec 9, 2017 #3

kosovo dave

Gold Member

By "ends" do you mean of the full plate (x = -L and x = L) or the half-space (x=0 and x = L)? I should also clarify that the ends of the plate (x = +/- L) sag beneath the x-axis.

5. Dec 9, 2017 #4

kosovo dave

Gold Member

6. Dec 10, 2017 #5
    Oh. I missed this when I was visualizing the system. Yes, the boundary conditions you proposed are the correct ones to use: zero shear force and zero bending moment at both ends.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted