1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Harmonic Integration

1. May 24, 2008 #1
    Spherical Harmonic Integration plz help!!!

Hi guys,

I have a spherical harmonic integration problem that I would like to solve

[tex]\int_S Y_{nm}^*(\omega)Y_{nm}^*(\omega) d\omega[/tex]
    which I re-write as follows:

[tex]= \int_S \left|Y_{nm}^*(\omega)\right|^2 d\omega [/tex]

Am I right to say that

[tex]\int_S \left|Y_{nm}^*(\omega)\right|^2 d\omega = \frac{2n+1}{4\pi}[/tex] ???

since we know that

[tex] \left|Y_{nm}^*(\omega)\right|^2 = \frac{2n+1}{4\pi}[/tex]

Thanks in advance

Kostas

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2008 #2
    Spherical Harmonic Integration plz help!!!

Hi,

Please accept my apologies but I would like to re-phrase the problem as it might make things clearer for those of you who are experts in this area of mathematics. I have also made some corrections to my last post.

I have a spherical harmonic integration problem that I would like to solve. The integral follows:

[tex]\int_S Y_{nm}(\omega)Y_{nm}^*(\omega) d\omega[/tex]

My understanding is that the above can be re-written as follows:

[tex]\int_S Y_{nm}(\omega)Y_{nm}^*(\omega) d\omega= \int_S \left|Y_{nm}(\omega)\right|^2 d\omega [/tex]

and since we know that

[tex]\int_S \left|Y_{nm}(\omega)\right|^2 d\omega = \frac{2n+1}{4\pi}[/tex]

I conclude that

[tex]\int_S Y_{nm}(\omega)Y_{nm}^*(\omega) d\omega = \frac{2n+1}{4\pi}[/tex]

Would you agree with the above approach???

My problem is that using the orthogonality principle of Spherical Harmonics the same problem can be handled (or can it be handled?).

[tex]\int_S Y_{nm}(\omega) Y_{n'm'}^*(\omega) d\omega = \delta_{nn'} \delta_{mm'}[/tex]

so that if [tex] n = n' [/tex] the result will be equal to 1 and 0 otherwise. Am I wrong?

I would highly appreciate your advice

Kostas

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?