Spherical Harmonic Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with spherical harmonic integration and the different ways it can be solved using the orthogonality principle or by re-writing the integral. The final conclusion is that the result is equal to (2n+1)/4π.
onlyk
Spherical Harmonic Integration please help!

Hi guys,

I have a spherical harmonic integration problem that I would like to solve

[tex]\int_S Y_{nm}^*(\omega)Y_{nm}^*(\omega) d\omega[/tex]
which I re-write as follows:

[tex]= \int_S \left|Y_{nm}^*(\omega)\right|^2 d\omega [/tex]

Am I right to say that

[tex]\int_S \left|Y_{nm}^*(\omega)\right|^2 d\omega = \frac{2n+1}{4\pi}[/tex] ?

since we know that

[tex] \left|Y_{nm}^*(\omega)\right|^2 = \frac{2n+1}{4\pi}[/tex]

Thanks in advance

Kostas

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Spherical Harmonic Integration please help!

Hi,

Please accept my apologies but I would like to re-phrase the problem as it might make things clearer for those of you who are experts in this area of mathematics. I have also made some corrections to my last post.

I have a spherical harmonic integration problem that I would like to solve. The integral follows:

[tex]\int_S Y_{nm}(\omega)Y_{nm}^*(\omega) d\omega[/tex]

My understanding is that the above can be re-written as follows:

[tex]\int_S Y_{nm}(\omega)Y_{nm}^*(\omega) d\omega= \int_S \left|Y_{nm}(\omega)\right|^2 d\omega [/tex]

and since we know that

[tex]\int_S \left|Y_{nm}(\omega)\right|^2 d\omega = \frac{2n+1}{4\pi}[/tex]

I conclude that

[tex]\int_S Y_{nm}(\omega)Y_{nm}^*(\omega) d\omega = \frac{2n+1}{4\pi}[/tex]

Would you agree with the above approach?

My problem is that using the orthogonality principle of Spherical Harmonics the same problem can be handled (or can it be handled?).

[tex]\int_S Y_{nm}(\omega) Y_{n'm'}^*(\omega) d\omega = \delta_{nn'} \delta_{mm'}[/tex]

so that if [tex] n = n' [/tex] the result will be equal to 1 and 0 otherwise. Am I wrong?

I would highly appreciate your advice

Kostas

1. What is Spherical Harmonic Integration (SHI)?

Spherical Harmonic Integration (SHI) is a mathematical technique used in computer graphics and physics simulations to efficiently compute the integral of a function over a spherical domain. It is commonly used in computer graphics to calculate lighting and shading effects on 3D objects.

2. How does SHI work?

SHI works by approximating a function on a sphere as a linear combination of spherical harmonics, which are a set of orthogonal functions defined on the surface of a sphere. These spherical harmonics are then integrated over the sphere to calculate the integral of the original function.

3. What are the benefits of using SHI?

SHI offers several benefits, including improved accuracy and efficiency compared to traditional integration methods. It also allows for faster computation of lighting and shading effects on 3D objects, making it a valuable tool in computer graphics and physics simulations.

4. What are some applications of SHI?

SHI is commonly used in computer graphics for calculating lighting and shading effects on 3D objects, such as in video games and animated films. It is also used in physics simulations to model and analyze physical phenomena, such as fluid dynamics and atmospheric effects.

5. Are there any limitations to using SHI?

While SHI is a powerful and efficient technique, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to integrate functions over a spherical domain, so it is not suitable for all types of integrals. Additionally, it may not provide accurate results for highly complex or rapidly changing functions.