Spherical Harmonic Wave Function =? 3D Wave Function

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the spherical harmonic wave function [tex] \frac{1}{r}e^{i(kr-{\omega}t)} [/tex] is a solution of the three-dimensional wave equation, where [tex] r = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]. The proof is easier if spherical coordinates are used.

2. Relevant equations

Wave function: [tex] \frac{{\partial}^2U}{\partial x^2} + \frac{{\partial}^2U}{\partial y^2} + \frac{{\partial}^2U}{\partial z^2} = \frac{1}{u^2} \frac{{\partial}^2U}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I really just don't even know where to start. Do I first convert the x,y,z into polar coordinates? or do I just substitue what's above in for r? But then what's up with imaginary part?
    asmaa ebrahem likes this.
  2. jcsd
  3. vela

vela 12,971
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You wrote the wave equation using Cartesian coordinates. More generally, you can write it as[tex]\nabla^2 U = \frac{1}{u^2}\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial t^2}[/tex]
    In your textbook, you can probably find how to write the Laplacian [itex]\nabla^2[/itex] using spherical coordinates. (Or just Google it.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?