Spherical Harmonics: Arriving at Equation

In summary: Thanks for pointing out the typos. I'll go through the derivation again and make sure that it's correct now.In summary, the equation $$\bigg( (1-z^2) \frac{d^2}{dz^2} - 2z \frac{d}{dz} + l(l+1) - \frac{m^2}{1-z^2} \bigg) P(z) = 0$$ is used to derive the spherical harmonics functions, often denoted by ##Y^{m}{}_{l}(\theta, \phi)##, which are part of the hydrogen atom problem. It is derived by applying the separation ansatz for the eigenfunctions of the Laplacian
davidge
How does one arrive at the equation

$$\bigg( (1-z^2) \frac{d^2}{dz^2} - 2z \frac{d}{dz} + l(l+1) - \frac{m^2}{1-z^2} \bigg) P(z) = 0$$
Solving this equation for ##P(z)## is one step in deriving the spherical harmonics "##Y^{m}{}_{l}(\theta, \phi)##".

The problem is that the book I'm following doesn't show how to arrive at the above equation. It shows how to arrive at it only for the special case ##m=0##.

I've tried googling "Associate Legendre's equation" and "Legendre's general equation derivation" but it seems there's no such derivation on web.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to solve the hydrogen atom eigenfunction?
As a matter of fact, that differential equation is the defining equation for the associated Legendre polynomial. Therefore, unless you encounter it in a different context, there is no way to derive it. It is simply defined such that the associated Legendre polynomial is the solution of that equation.

Likes davidge
The standard way to derive the equation is to apply the separation ansatz
$$\psi(r,\vartheta,\varphi)=R(r) \Theta(\vartheta) \Phi(\varphi)$$
for the eigenfunctions of the Laplacian in spherical coordinates.
$$\Delta \psi=\frac{1}{r} \partial_r^2 (r \psi) + \frac{1}{r^2 \sin \vartheta} \partial_{\vartheta}(\sin \vartheta \partial_{\vartheta} \psi) + \frac{1}{r^2 \sin^2 \vartheta} \partial_{\varphi}^2 \psi.$$

Likes davidge
blue_leaf77 said:
Are you trying to solve the hydrogen atom eigenfunction?
I'm trying to derive the spherical harmonics functions, often denoted by ##Y^{m}{}_{l}(\theta, \phi)##. It's part of the hydrogen atom problem.
blue_leaf77 said:
As a matter of fact, that differential equation is the defining equation for the associated Legendre polynomial. Therefore, unless you encounter it in a different context, there is no way to derive it. It is simply defined such that the associated Legendre polynomial is the solution of that equation.
Maybe I should have put my question in the following way

The book I'm reading shows how to arrive at the equation $$\bigg( (1-z^2) \frac{d^2}{dz^2} - 2z \frac{d}{dz} + A - \frac{m^2}{1-z^2} \bigg) P(z) = 0$$
where one needs to find what ##A## is. The book shows how to find ##A## for the case ##m=0##; it's ##A = l(l+1)##. Then it states that ##A = l(l+1)## even for ##m \neq 0##, but does not proves that, as it proves for the former case.

@vanhees71 By doing this way, can one show that ##A = l(l+1)## is the correct term?

If I think about it, an even simpler way is to look for harmonic functions, i.e., the Laplace equation
$$\Delta \psi=0.$$
You make the above separation ansatz. Plugging it into the Laplace Equation leads to
$$\frac{\Theta \Phi}{r} (r R)''+\frac{R \Phi}{r^2 \sin \vartheta}(\sin \vartheta \Theta)'+\frac{R \Theta}{r^2 \sin^2 \vartheta} \Phi''=0.$$
Multiply the entire expression with ##r^2/(R \Theta \Phi)##, and you get
$$\frac{r}{R} (r R)''=-\frac{1}{\Theta \sin \vartheta}(\sin \vartheta \Theta)'-\frac{1}{\Phi \sin^2 \vartheta} \Phi''.$$
Sine the left-hand side depends on ##r## only but the right-hand side on ##\vartheta## and ##\varphi## the entire expression must be some constant ##A##:
$$r (r R)''=A R.$$
The equation can obviously solved by the ansatz ##R=c r^{\lambda}##:
$$r (r R)''=c r (r^{\lambda+1})''=c r (\lambda+1) \lambda r^{\lambda-1}=c A r^{\lambda} \; \Rightarrow\; \lambda(\lambda+1)=A.$$
Then you repeat the argument with the right-hand side
$$-\frac{1}{\Theta \sin \vartheta}(\sin \vartheta \Theta)'-\frac{1}{\Phi \sin^2 \vartheta} \Phi''=\lambda(\lambda+1)$$
or, a bit rewritten,
$$-\frac{\sin \vartheta }{\Theta}(\sin \vartheta \Theta')' - \lambda(\lambda+1) \sin^2 \vartheta = \frac{1}{\Phi} \Phi''=-m^2,$$
where again ##m=\text{const}## since the left-hand side depends on ##\vartheta## only and the right-hand side on ##\varphi## only. You then find
$$\Phi(\varphi)=\exp(\mathrm{i} m \varphi),$$
and since the solution should be a ##2 \pi##-periodic function in ##\varphi## you get ##m \in \mathbb{N}##.

Finally you are left with [Typos corrected]
$$\sin \vartheta (\sin \vartheta \Theta')'+ \left [\lambda(\lambda+1) \sin^2 \vartheta - m^2 \right ]\Theta=0.$$
Now substitute
$$z=\cos \vartheta, \quad \Theta(\vartheta)=P(z).$$
From this you get immediately your formula.

Last edited:
Likes davidge
PeterDonis said:
Which book?
McIntyre - Quantum Mechanics - A Paradigms Approach

@vanhees71 Perfect. Thank you.

Is there a typo here?
vanhees71 said:
or, a bit rewritten,
$$-\frac{\sin \vartheta }{\Theta}(\sin \vartheta \Theta')' - \lambda(\lambda+1) \sin^2 \vartheta = \frac{1}{\Phi \sin^2 \vartheta} \Phi''=-m^2,$$
$$ \Longrightarrow -\frac{\sin \vartheta }{\Theta}(\sin \vartheta \Theta)' - \lambda(\lambda+1) \sin^2 \vartheta = \frac{\Phi''}{\Phi}=-m^2$$

And, also, here?

vanhees71 said:
Finally you are left with
$$\sin \vartheta (\sin \vartheta \Theta')'+ \left [\lambda(\lambda-1) \sin^2 \vartheta + m^2 \right ]\Theta=0.$$
$$ \Longrightarrow \sin \vartheta (\sin \vartheta \Theta)'+ \left [\lambda(\lambda+1) \sin^2 \vartheta - m^2 \right ]\Theta=0.$$

I've corrected the typos in #6. I hope, now all signs are correct ;-).

Likes davidge
vanhees71 said:
I've corrected the typos in #6. I hope, now all signs are correct ;-).
You are still keeping the derivative symbol on ##\Theta##. Is this so?

Also, you have actually forgotten the first one that I have pointed out.

Argh. Yes, I corrected it, but the ##\Theta'## must stay. You have a 2nd-order differential operator (it's more or less ##\hat{\vec{L}}^2##, and it's much more understandable what's coming out using the semi-algebraic way in my QM manuscript).

Likes davidge

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions that describe the angular variation of a spherical field, such as the electric potential or magnetic field. They are widely used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. How are spherical harmonics derived?

Spherical harmonics can be derived from the solutions of Laplace's equation in three dimensions, which describes the behavior of scalar fields in space. The solutions take the form of spherical harmonics, which are composed of sinusoidal functions of different frequencies and amplitudes.

3. What is the equation for spherical harmonics?

The equation for spherical harmonics is given by Ylm(θ,φ) = Clm Plm(cosθ)eimφ, where θ is the polar angle, φ is the azimuthal angle, l is the degree, m is the order, Clm is a normalization constant, and Plm is the associated Legendre polynomial.

4. What is the significance of spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics have many applications in science and engineering. They are used to describe and analyze spherical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and planets. They also play a crucial role in solving problems related to electrostatics, magnetostatics, and quantum mechanics.

5. How are spherical harmonics used in real-world scenarios?

Spherical harmonics are used in a variety of real-world scenarios, such as computer graphics, geodesy, and satellite navigation. In computer graphics, they are used to create realistic lighting and shading effects. In geodesy, they are used to model the Earth's gravitational field. In satellite navigation, they are used to determine the position and orientation of satellites and receivers.