Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin Orbit Interaction Hamiltonian

1. Dec 21, 2005 #1
    Spin Orbit Interaction Hamiltonian is defined as follows:

[itex]
    H_{SO}=\frac{1}{2m_{e}c^2}\frac{1}{r} \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}\right)L\cdot S
    [/itex]

How does one derive the above Spin Orbit Interaction Hamiltonian from relativistic treatment? Is there a good textbook that elaborates on this?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2005 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Messiah, Sakaurai, Cohen-Tannouji, Bjorken & Drell, all of those texts have the spin-orbit interaction defined in them and their derivations....

4. Dec 22, 2005 #3
    Thank you!

5. Dec 25, 2005 #4
    Thomas precession

It might be worth mentioning that the "simple derivation" presented in most or perhaps all of those textbooks obtains a final result that is in error by approximately a factor of two. To get the right answer, it is important to carry out a relativistic analysis of what is often called the "Thomas precession" effect. This is addressed at some length in Jackson's textbook on E&M, in Chapter 11 or 12, I believe.

6. Dec 25, 2005 #5
    if we began from Dirac equation, we can obtain the Hamiltonian just like the form in Jackson book. i find L. I. Schiff's book extremely well explained.

7. Dec 25, 2005 #6
    Yes, I agree. Starting from relativistic quantum theory is definitely the most straightforward way to get to the correct result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?