1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin wave dispertion finite energy.

1. May 29, 2006 #1
    Hi there,

I've been trying to explain why at zero wave vector Q , in some ferromagnetic materials the spin wave has a finite energy. I know that usually the energy tends to zero as the wave vector tends to zero however in some cases there is energy at zero, wave vector, I just need to know why.

I would appreciate someone to enlighten me

newo

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most all real ferromagnetic materials have a non-zero (typically about an meV or less) spin-wave energy at q=0 that comes from the anisotropy field. Kittel has a paper on this. I'll look for it if you confirm that this is what you are talking about.

If you are talking about a larger minimum energy in some special materials, I'm unaware of that.

4. May 30, 2006 #3
    yes that is what i am looking for thank you, i would be greatful if i can see the paper.

5. May 30, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?