Infinte distance with finite energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical relationship between energy and velocity, and whether or not an object can travel an infinite distance with finite energy. The conclusion is that it is possible if the total energy of the object is positive, taking into account other fields and conditions.
maughanster
Let's say we have an object. And we then say that E = (1/2)mv2.
so we solve for velocity and say that
v = (2E/m)^(1/2)

then integrate both sides with respect to time

∫(2E/m)^(1/2)dt= ∫v dt

so we then have

(2E/m)^(1/2)t = distance

so if time was infinitely large (long) could an object travel an infinite distance if it was given in infinitesimally small unit of energy?

as i typed this out i realized that without an acceleration in obviously could but in my head this math means it's accelerating infinitely slow.

Don't hate me if this is wrong. I've only taken Calc 1 and high school physics. and I also have trouble explaining my scientific thoughts to others haha oh well. Please be indepth when denying my math. I also did substite E for (1/2)mv^2 at

∫(2E/m)^(1/2)dt= ∫v dt

this part but i got d = d^(1/2) for an answer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's first law tells us that this must be true.

Hmm, it's a little difficult for me.

But could you accelarate the object over an infinite distance with finite energy?

Remember that E is a function of time, at least I think it is, so the integral might not be so simple.

maughanster said:
But could you accelarate the object over an infinite distance with finite energy?
Not unless it is a hyperbolicalaly decreasing acceleration -- but you can just briefly accelerate to an infinitessimally small speed and just continue at that speed forever.

With what you just said and thinking things through a bit I think I finally figured out what i wanted to in the first place. thanks!

I agree with Russ Watters, but also would like to light up some extra points.
The situation of traveling forever is possible if the total energy of the body is positive. You can't just express E = 1/2 mv^2.
That would be the case if you are thinking that the body is alone in the space but in real life it is in a number of fields. So, the only condition according to Newton and Kepler is taking the total energy to be positive. So, the answer is YES. A body can travel infinite distance with finite energy.

1) What is "infinite distance with finite energy"?

"Infinite distance with finite energy" is a concept that refers to the idea that it is theoretically possible to travel an infinite distance using only a finite amount of energy. This means that, in theory, it is possible to reach any point in the universe without needing an infinite amount of energy.

2) How is this concept possible?

The concept of "infinite distance with finite energy" is based on the theory of relativity, specifically the concept of space-time curvature. According to this theory, massive objects can bend the fabric of space-time, allowing for shorter distances to be traveled even if the overall distance is technically infinite.

3) Is this concept currently achievable?

At this time, the concept of "infinite distance with finite energy" is purely theoretical and has not been achieved in practice. While there have been advancements in space travel and energy efficiency, we do not yet have the technology or understanding to achieve this concept.

4) What are the potential implications of this concept?

If we were able to achieve "infinite distance with finite energy," it would revolutionize space travel and exploration. It would allow us to reach distant galaxies and explore the vastness of the universe in ways that were previously impossible. This could also have significant implications for time travel and our understanding of the universe.

5) Are there any challenges or limitations to this concept?

While the theory of "infinite distance with finite energy" is mathematically sound, there are still many challenges and limitations that need to be addressed. These include the need for more advanced technology, the existence of unknown obstacles in space, and the potential effects on the fabric of space-time. Further research and development are necessary before this concept can become a reality.