1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spivak or LA this Summer? [independent study]

1. May 31, 2012 #1
    I have taken Calc 1 (computational) and Discrete Math (low-rigor proofs), and am currently taking Calc 2 (calc is a 2 semester course at my school), in the Fall I will take Vector Cal (mostly computational), probability (mostly computational), and LA (supposed to transition students to the rigor of RA and Algebra etc.)

I was wondering if I should spend this summer working through Spivak Calculus or an intro to LA book?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why not do both?? :tongue:

Spivak is a great preperation for a real analysis class. The concepts are very nicely worked out. The exercises are quite challenging.

Linear algebra could be a good self-study provided you pick a good book. If you pick Serge Lang's book or Friedberg, then you can't go wrong.

Both topics are worth to self-study. If I were you, I would do Spivak. But it's your choice.

4. May 31, 2012 #3
    I am working on Spivak this summer! LA can wait!

5. May 31, 2012 #4
    I'm a slow learner and I'm already taking 2 classes this summer so I'm afraid there wouldn't be time enough to make meaningful progress on both Spivak and LA. :/

K I think I'll do Spivak (unless someone makes a really good case for studying LA instead).
    Should I just attempt to work through the whole book from the beginning or focus on a few key chapters? I doubt I will be able to get through even a quarter of the material in the book this summer but I want to get the most benefit out of my time spent.

Cool; good luck!

6. Jun 1, 2012 #5
    bumping this question

7. Jun 1, 2012 #6
    I do each chapter thoroughly. Its much more rewarding to know something in detail, than just have glancing ideas about everything.

8. Jun 1, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, this is true. Try to work through everything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook