Spivak or LA this Summer? [independent study]

In summary, the person is taking Calculus 1, Discrete Math, and will be taking Calculus 2, Vector Calculus, Probability, and Linear Algebra in the fall. They are considering self-studying Spivak Calculus or an introductory Linear Algebra book over the summer. Another person recommends doing both, but the first person is concerned about time and prefers to focus on Spivak. They also ask for advice on whether to work through the entire book or just focus on key chapters. The response is to thoroughly work through each chapter for a better understanding.
nickadams
I have taken Calc 1 (computational) and Discrete Math (low-rigor proofs), and am currently taking Calc 2 (calc is a 2 semester course at my school), in the Fall I will take Vector Cal (mostly computational), probability (mostly computational), and LA (supposed to transition students to the rigor of RA and Algebra etc.)

I was wondering if I should spend this summer working through Spivak Calculus or an intro to LA book?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not do both?? :tongue:

Spivak is a great preperation for a real analysis class. The concepts are very nicely worked out. The exercises are quite challenging.

Linear algebra could be a good self-study provided you pick a good book. If you pick Serge Lang's book or Friedberg, then you can't go wrong.

Both topics are worth to self-study. If I were you, I would do Spivak. But it's your choice.

I am working on Spivak this summer! LA can wait!

micromass said:
Why not do both?? :tongue:
I'm a slow learner and I'm already taking 2 classes this summer so I'm afraid there wouldn't be time enough to make meaningful progress on both Spivak and LA. :/

micromass said:
If I were you, I would do Spivak. But it's your choice.
K I think I'll do Spivak (unless someone makes a really good case for studying LA instead).
Should I just attempt to work through the whole book from the beginning or focus on a few key chapters? I doubt I will be able to get through even a quarter of the material in the book this summer but I want to get the most benefit out of my time spent.
DeadOriginal said:
I am working on Spivak this summer! LA can wait!

Cool; good luck!

nickadams said:
Should I just attempt to work through the whole book from the beginning or focus on a few key chapters? I doubt I will be able to get through even a quarter of the material in the book this summer but I want to get the most benefit out of my time spent.

bumping this question

nickadams said:
bumping this question

I do each chapter thoroughly. Its much more rewarding to know something in detail, than just have glancing ideas about everything.

Infinitum said:
I do each chapter thoroughly. Its much more rewarding to know something in detail, than just have glancing ideas about everything.

Yes, this is true. Try to work through everything.

1. What is the difference between Spivak and LA for a summer independent study?

Spivak and LA are both popular choices for summer independent study programs in the field of science. Spivak focuses on theoretical mathematics, while LA offers a broader range of courses in various scientific disciplines. Ultimately, the choice between Spivak and LA will depend on your specific interests and goals for your independent study.

2. How long do the Spivak and LA programs last?

The Spivak program typically lasts for 6-8 weeks, while the LA program can range from 8-12 weeks. Both programs require a significant time commitment and dedication to complete the coursework and projects.

3. Can I receive college credit for participating in Spivak or LA?

Yes, both Spivak and LA offer the opportunity to earn college credit for completing their summer independent study programs. However, it is important to check with your university or college beforehand to ensure that the credits will transfer.

4. Are there any prerequisites for participating in Spivak or LA?

Both programs have specific prerequisites that must be met before applying. Spivak typically requires a strong background in mathematics, while LA may have specific course requirements depending on the chosen discipline. It is important to review the prerequisites carefully before applying to ensure that you meet the requirements.

5. How do I apply for Spivak or LA?

The application process for Spivak and LA varies, but typically involves submitting an application form, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each program before applying.