1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Splitting 2nd order DE into two 1st order DE's

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    15r1sm0.jpg

1.a) Taking the Schrodinger second order differential equation given, split it into two first order differential equations for numerical solving.
    We're given the relevant constants in a table, such as [tex]\hbar[/tex], [tex]\alpha[/tex], etc. 'z' is taken to be an indepedent variable which we incorporate into our initial conditions (which we must state).
    3. The attempt at a solution
    e6oprr.jpg

Have i done this right? Is it right to say that [tex]\Psi(z)[/tex]=vz ? Since the [tex]\Psi(z)[/tex] that is in the equation, the one multiplied by ..+[U(z)-En][tex]\Psi(z)[/tex] has to be set to something too (?).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, just leave [itex]\Psi(z)[/itex] as [itex]\Psi(z)[/itex]

It's true that [itex]d\Psi=vdz[/itex], but until you solve for [itex]v(z)[/itex] you have no way of integrating [itex]vdz[/itex].

4. Apr 25, 2010 #3
    ^^But for the second part of the question, we're required to "Write a program that uses an inbuilt numerical solver (such as Matlab's ode45) to numerically solve for [tex]\Psi(z)[/tex] for z1<z<z2..." so we have to choose our own initial conditions to incorporate into our program, along with using ode45 in matlab.

So then does that mean [tex]\Psi(z)[/tex]=vz still? I don't understand why you would integrate it though? Unless i've completely missed something in the numerical solving part of this course.

5. Apr 25, 2010 #4
    v depends on z, so you can't integrate [tex]\frac{d\Psi}{dz}=v[/tex] to get [tex]\Psi=vz[/tex].

6. Apr 25, 2010 #5
    ^^So when i put these coupled equations into matlab, what do i define [tex]\Psi(z)[/tex] to be?

7. Apr 25, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's one of the functions you are trying to solve your system of equations for...you simply leave it as [itex]\Psi(z)[/itex]

8. Apr 25, 2010 #7
    ^^I see then. So i'm assuming that ODE45 in matlab will accomodate for leaving [tex]\Psi(z)[/tex] in the equation? I'm reading up on it now (ODE45) but i don't think i understand it.

9. Apr 26, 2010 #8
    Ok after doing some reading on ode45, i think i get it. So yes i'll leave Psi(z) as it is, and implementing it into my matlab code, it will be solved according to the initial conditions i set. Just need to try it out in matlab now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook