1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring constant and conservation of energy

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The ball launcher in a pinbgall machine has a spring that has a force constant of 36 N/cm. THe surface on which the ball moves is inclined theta=10.1 degrees with respect to the horizontal. If the spring is initially conressed 4.25 cm, find the launching speed of a .120 kg bawhen the plunger is released. Friction and the mass of the plunger e negligible.

2. Relevant equations

PE=.5k(xf-xi)^2
    KE=.5mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'not sure what launching speed is supposed to be, it supposed to be an answer that doesn't require units. Does that mean I need to be finding the spring constant? If so, do I just set the KE=PE?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

They give you the spring constant. 36 N/cm.

So think conservation of energy.

Spring potential depressed = kinetic energy at release point plus additional increase in gravitational potential energy at release point .

4. Mar 17, 2009 #3
    The force constant is the spring constant. You're looking for a velocity.

Think about it if we compress a spring at some angle we are storing potential energy in the spring, but we also have to take into account gravity, does this help?

5. Mar 17, 2009 #4
    It can't be simply velocity that I'm looking for because an answer not requiring units is needed. Any other ideas?

6. Mar 17, 2009 #5
    I'm pretty sure it's got units -- it asks for the launching speed. Speed's have units of distance per time.

7. Mar 17, 2009 #6
    I know... it should but, I'm doing homework through lon-capa and it's telling me that it doens't require units, so it can't be asking for velocity.

8. Mar 17, 2009 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

They ask for speed.

Calculate it as m/s.

Ignore their not asking for units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook