1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Elastic Potential Energy! Help!

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    I feel so confused right now, I'm probably over thinking this though. Please help!
    1) A slingshot consists of a light leather cup, containing a stone, that is pulled back against two parallel rubber bands. It takes a force of 11 N to stretch either one of these bands 1.1 cm.

(a) What is the potential energy stored in the two bands together when a stone is placed in the cup and pulled back 0.19 m from the equilibrium position?

Round your answer to two significant figures.

(b) With what speed does the stone leave the slingshot?

Round your answer to two significant figures.

2) A child's toy consists of a piece of plastic attached to a spring in the following figure. The spring is compressed against the floor a distance of 2.05 cm, and the toy is released. If the toy has a mass of and rises to a maximum height of 57.0 cm, estimate the force constant of the spring.

Note: the height of the toy in a compressed state is negligible in comparison with the maximum height.

Round your answer to three significant figures. Take the free fall acceleration to be .
    I've already tried using the equations F= kx and Us=1/2kx^2 but I'm not getting the right answer. I filled F in with 11 N and x with 0.011 m to find k, I got 1000. Then I plugged 1000 into the other equation and got 1/2(1000)(0.19^2). I got 18.05 and rounded to two sig figs 18 but it is still not right. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. You need to show us the relevant equations and show us your attempt at a solution before we can be of much tutorial help.

What are the main equations that we use for spring questions? The first relates the force F to the sprink constant k and the distance the spring is pushed/pulled from equilibrium.

The second relates the energy E in a pushed/pulled spring to its spring constant and the distance it is pushed/pulled.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook