1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring force with free fall problem

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the system below. The 2.50 kg mass compresses the spring (k = 805 N/m) a distance of 0.230 m from equilibrium. The mass is then released from rest. It slides a total distance of 1.20 m on the table top where it feels a force of kinetic friction of 5.60 N before it slides off the edge. If it hits the ground with a speed of 6.64 m/s, find the height ∆y of the table.

2. Relevant equations

Vf^2 = Vi^2-2g∆y

3. The attempt at a solution

I started doing the spring force part of the problem, but then the thought hit me that the speed shouldn't matter in the x direction because it is just a free fall problem. I'm not sure if I'm correct in that thinking though.

here's what I got.

∆y = (Vf^2 - Vi^2)/-2g

∆y = (6.64^2 - 0^2)/-2(9.81)

∆y = 44.0896/-19.62

∆y = 2.25m

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

It is not a simple free fall problem.

If the mass just tipped over the edge, it just falls to the floor reaching a speed of 6.64

If however the mass leaves the table travelling at a speed of 6.6 m/s, it will have gained the extra 0.04 m/s by falling just a few mm.

In the end this is a projectile motion question: you have to work out how fast the mass is travelling when it leaves the table.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook