Spring force with free fall problem

In summary, the system consists of a 2.50 kg mass compressing a spring with a force constant of 805 N/m, before being released and sliding a distance of 1.20 m on a table top where it experiences a kinetic friction force of 5.60 N. The mass then falls to the ground with a speed of 6.64 m/s. The task is to find the height of the table (∆y) using the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 - 2g∆y. However, it is not a simple free fall problem and requires considering projectile motion.
scarne92

Homework Statement

Consider the system below. The 2.50 kg mass compresses the spring (k = 805 N/m) a distance of 0.230 m from equilibrium. The mass is then released from rest. It slides a total distance of 1.20 m on the table top where it feels a force of kinetic friction of 5.60 N before it slides off the edge. If it hits the ground with a speed of 6.64 m/s, find the height ∆y of the table.

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = Vi^2-2g∆y

The Attempt at a Solution

I started doing the spring force part of the problem, but then the thought hit me that the speed shouldn't matter in the x direction because it is just a free fall problem. I'm not sure if I'm correct in that thinking though.

here's what I got.

∆y = (Vf^2 - Vi^2)/-2g

∆y = (6.64^2 - 0^2)/-2(9.81)

∆y = 44.0896/-19.62

∆y = 2.25m

Physics news on Phys.org
scarne92 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the system below. The 2.50 kg mass compresses the spring (k = 805 N/m) a distance of 0.230 m from equilibrium. The mass is then released from rest. It slides a total distance of 1.20 m on the table top where it feels a force of kinetic friction of 5.60 N before it slides off the edge. If it hits the ground with a speed of 6.64 m/s, find the height ∆y of the table.

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = Vi^2-2g∆y

The Attempt at a Solution

I started doing the spring force part of the problem, but then the thought hit me that the speed shouldn't matter in the x direction because it is just a free fall problem. I'm not sure if I'm correct in that thinking though.

here's what I got.

∆y = (Vf^2 - Vi^2)/-2g

∆y = (6.64^2 - 0^2)/-2(9.81)

∆y = 44.0896/-19.62

∆y = 2.25m

It is not a simple free fall problem.

If the mass just tipped over the edge, it just falls to the floor reaching a speed of 6.64

If however the mass leaves the table traveling at a speed of 6.6 m/s, it will have gained the extra 0.04 m/s by falling just a few mm.

In the end this is a projectile motion question: you have to work out how fast the mass is traveling when it leaves the table.

1. What is the formula for calculating the spring force in a free fall problem?

The formula for calculating the spring force in a free fall problem is F = kx, where F is the force applied by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position.

2. How does the mass of an object affect the spring force in a free fall problem?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the spring force in a free fall problem. The spring force depends on the spring constant and the distance the spring is stretched or compressed, which are both independent of the mass of the object.

3. What is the equilibrium position in a spring force free fall problem?

The equilibrium position in a spring force free fall problem is the position where there is no net force acting on the object. This is where the spring force and the force of gravity are equal and opposite, resulting in the object being at rest.

4. How does the height of an object affect the spring force in a free fall problem?

The height of an object does not directly affect the spring force in a free fall problem. However, the height can indirectly affect the spring force by changing the potential energy of the object, which in turn can affect the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

5. Can the spring force in a free fall problem be negative?

Yes, the spring force in a free fall problem can be negative. This occurs when the spring is compressed, resulting in a negative displacement. The negative spring force indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction defined by the displacement.