Spring-Gun and Bullet Momentum and Energy

In summary: You should get the answer that the energy stored in the spring is equal to the initial kinetic energy of the ball.B) Your method looks correct. You should get an answer in terms of k, vi, and m.
newtophysics2

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m which is projected with speed vi into the barrel of a spring-gun of mass M initially at rest on a frictionless surface, as shown in the attached file below. The ball sticks in the barrel at the point of maximum compression of the spring. No energy is lost in friction.

A) In terms of the given masses and the kinetic energy, what energy is stored in the spring at its maximum compression?

B) If the mass of the ball and the gun are equal and the spring constant is given as k, determine the maximum compression of the spring in terms of the initial kinetic energy and the spring constant k.

Homework Equations

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'
Kinetic Energy=(1/2)mv2
Spring Energy=(1/2)kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

A) At maximum compression, the speed of the ball will equal that of the gun since the ball is stuck in the barrel. Therefore I used the conservation of momentum:
mvi = (m+M)vf
vf = (mvi)/(M+m)
At this point, I wasn't sure about my work... I equated the energy stored in the spring to the difference between the initial KE and the final KE:
Espring=(1/2)(m)(vi)2 - (1/2)(M+m)(vf)2
If I substitute the fraction (mvi)/(M+m) for vf, would I have the right answer?

B) I would set (1/2)(m)(vi)2 - (1/2)(M+m)(vf)2 equal to: (1/2)(k)(x2) where M=m. Then I would solve for x... would that be correct?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 825
Physics news on Phys.org
newtophysics2 said:
A) At maximum compression, the speed of the ball will equal that of the gun since the ball is stuck in the barrel.
Minor quibble: yes, at maximum compression, the speed of the ball will equal that of the gun, but that's because it is at maximum compression, and has nothing to do with the ball's becoming stuck.
Other than that, your method looks sound.

What is a spring-gun?

A spring-gun is a type of firearm that uses a spring mechanism to propel a bullet out of the barrel. When the trigger is pulled, the spring is released, causing the bullet to rapidly accelerate and exit the gun.

How does a spring-gun work?

A spring-gun works by utilizing the potential energy stored in the compressed spring. When the trigger is pulled, the spring expands and releases this energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy to propel the bullet forward.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In the context of a spring-gun, momentum refers to the amount of force that the bullet exerts on its target as it moves through the air.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of a spring-gun, kinetic energy is the energy that the bullet has as it moves through the air. It is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the bullet.

How does bullet momentum and energy affect its trajectory?

The momentum and energy of a bullet play a significant role in determining its trajectory. A higher momentum and energy mean that the bullet will travel at a faster speed and have a greater impact on its target. Additionally, the mass and velocity of the bullet will determine how far it can travel before dropping due to gravity.