1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring/Incline plane kinematics/work problem

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    1. A .5 Kg block rests on a horizontal fricionless surface. The block is pressed back against a spring having a constant of K =625 newtons per meter. The spring is compressed .1 meters. Then the block is released. Find the maximum distance the block travels up the frictionless incline if the angle on the incline is 30 degrees.

3. I set up the PE, KE, and spring .5kxsquared added up equal total energy. For hight, i used 0, where the only stored energy would be the spring(.5kxsquared), PE and Ke here is 0. Than I put H as it's max height(where it would stop on the incline). I don't know what H is though, and can't solve for V.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2
    this has nothing to do with kinetic energy, you can calculate the height through use of the initial and final potential energy.
  4. Mar 7, 2008 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

You said the surface was horizontal right at the beginning...

As Oerg said, you can solve it by using the fact that the initial PE of the spring is entirely converted to grav PE.

Initial PE = (1/2)kx^2.

If the block travels a dist of d up the plane, and the vertical dist gained is h, then find the relation between d and h. I leave that to you.

Final PE = mgh.

Now you can find d.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?