Spring-Mass System: Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors

In summary: I'm a little lost. In summary, the det. of the matrix must be equal to 0 for there to be a non-trivial solution to the equation, but the roots are going to be pretty horrible and it will be difficult to find the corresponding eigenvectors.
Valeron21
The det. of the following matrix:

$$
\begin{matrix}
2k-ω^{2}m_{1} & -k\\ -k & k-ω^{2}m_{2}\\
\end{matrix}
$$

must be equal to 0 for there to be a non-trivial solution to the equation: $$(k - ω^{2}m)x =0$$

Where m is the mass matrix:

$$
\begin{matrix}
m_{1} & 0\\ 0& m_{2}\\
\end{matrix}
$$
k is the stiffness matrix:
$$
\begin{matrix}
2k& -k\\ -k & k\\
\end{matrix}
$$

and ω^2 is the eigenvalue.

I worked out the determinant as $$ω^{4}m_{1}m{2}-k(m_{1}+2m_{2})ω^{2}+k^{2}=0$$ and I could probably solve to find the two positive roots of this, but the roots are going to be pretty horrible and they are going to make finding the corresponding eigenvectors pretty difficult, no?

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easier way to do this? Perhaps a substitution/alteration to the matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
Valeron21 said:
The det. of the following matrix:

$$
\begin{bmatrix}
2k-ω^{2}m_{1} & -k\\ -k & k-ω^{2}m_{2}\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$

must be equal to 0 for there to be a non-trivial solution to the equation: $$(k - ω^{2}m)x =0$$

Where m is the mass matrix:

$$
\begin{bmatrix}
m_{1} & 0\\ 0& m_{2}\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$
k is the stiffness matrix:
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
2k& -k\\ -k & k\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$

and ω^2 is the eigenvalue.

I worked out the determinant as $$ω^{4}m_{1}m_{2}-k(m_{1}+2m_{2})ω^{2}+k^{2}=0$$ and I could probably solve to find the two positive roots of this, but the roots are going to be pretty horrible and they are going to make finding the corresponding eigenvectors pretty difficult, no?

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easier way to do this? Perhaps a substitution/alteration to the matrix?
I didn't check your work...

The equation you're trying to solve is a little messy, but not all that bad. It's quadratic in form - Let u = ω2, and then you have a quadratic.

BTW, in what I quoted I changed "matrix" to "bmatrix" to get them to look like matrices.

Hmm, I'm not really sure that makes it significantly easier, though.

To give a bit more context - I need to find the eigenfrequencies and corresponding eigenvalues, then give a solution of the form:

$$ \underline{X}=\sum_{i=1}^{}\underline{U_{i}}[A_{i}cos(ω_{i}t)+B_{i}sin(ω_{i}t)]$$

where $$\underline{U_{i}}$$ is the eigenvector associated with each eigenfrequency.

So, unless I'm being stupid here, I really don't see how I'm going to calculate that if I don't get some more manageable roots.

Is this in the right section, btw?

1. What is a spring-mass system?

A spring-mass system is a physical system composed of a mass connected to a spring. The mass and spring are able to move freely in one dimension, and their motion is governed by the laws of physics, specifically Hooke's Law.

2. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors in a spring-mass system?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are mathematical concepts used to describe the behavior of a spring-mass system. Eigenvalues represent the natural frequencies of oscillation of the system, while eigenvectors represent the corresponding modes of vibration.

3. How do eigenvalues and eigenvectors affect the behavior of a spring-mass system?

The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a spring-mass system determine the system's response to external forces. Specifically, the eigenvalues determine the frequencies at which the system will resonate, while the eigenvectors determine the corresponding patterns of motion.

4. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors calculated in a spring-mass system?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be calculated using mathematical techniques such as matrix diagonalization or the characteristic polynomial. The specific method used will depend on the properties of the system, such as the number of masses and springs.

5. What are some real-world applications of spring-mass systems?

Spring-mass systems have numerous applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. They can be used to model the behavior of structures such as buildings and bridges, to study the dynamics of mechanical systems, and to understand the behavior of biological systems such as the human body.