1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring/Mass System with Unequal Masses

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to find the equations of motion of two masses [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex] attached to each other by a spring on a smooth surface assuming [itex]m_2[/itex] is given an instantaneous velocity [itex]v_0[/itex] at time zero. Call the unstretched length of the spring [itex]l[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

I want to solve this using purely Newtonian methods.

3. The attempt at a solution

The position of [itex]m_1[/itex] in the center of mass frame is given by:

[tex] r_{1_{CM}} = r_1 - R_{CM} = \frac {m_2 (r_1 - r_2)}{m_1+m_2} [/tex]

Likewise, the position of [itex]m_2[/itex] in the CM frame is:

[tex] r_{2_{CM}} = r_2 - R_{CM} = \frac {m_1 (r_2 - r_1)}{m_1+m_2} [/tex]

I can write down Newton's equations for each mass using for Hooke's law [itex]r_{2_{CM}} - r_{1_{CM}} - l[/itex] as the displacement of the length of the spring from its equilibrium position.

At this point, I get two differential equations that I do not know how to solve. (Not SHM.) Can anybody help me?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    The equation become SHM in the COM frame. In your notation, just make the substitution: [itex]r_{1CM} = - r_{2CM}[/itex]

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    Is that substitution justifiable even though the two masses are unequal? Certainly the distance from the center of mass to [itex]m_1[/itex] need not equal the distance from the center of mass to [itex]m_2[/itex]...

5. Oct 17, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What are the differential equations you get?

6. Oct 17, 2011 #5
    The force on mass one will be:

[tex] F_1 = m_1 r''_{1_{CM}} = - k (r_{2_{CM}} - r_{1_{CM}} - l) [/tex]

And on mass two:

[tex] F_2 = m_2 r''_{2_{CM}} = + k (r_{2_{CM}} - r_{1_{CM}} - l) [/tex]

(Please correct me if this is wrong!)

7. Oct 18, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Two possible approaches:

1. You should be able to get an equation of the form
    [tex]\frac{m_1m_2}{m_1+m_2} \ddot{r} = -kr[/tex]with an appropriate definition of r.

2. You could write your equations as single matrix equation and then diagonalize the matrix. That'll decouple the equations for you.

I know the first approach is definitely doable because it's a standard result in classical mechanics. The second one might work. I haven't worked it out, so there could be complications I'm not aware of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook