Math Course for Chemistry Major: Finite Math or Statistics?

In summary, the speaker is considering taking trigonometry, chemistry, and sociology/philosophy classes. They are also considering taking a math class to improve their skills before taking calculus. They are debating between finite mathematics and statistics, and are unsure if either would be beneficial for a chemistry major. The speaker is leaning towards finite math. They mention that it may be late to sign up for classes for the spring, but it depends on the university's schedule. The conversation then shifts to discussing how different cultures celebrate Christmas and New Year. The speaker wishes everyone a happy new year.
Plastic Photon
I have not signed for any classes yet but I am 100% certain I am going to take trig, chem, sociology/philosophy. I can take one other class and I was leaning towards a math class because I want to build my math skills before I head into calculus (trig is a prerequisite). I have options between finite mathematics and statistics.

My current focus is chemistry and I do not know which course is better for a chem major or if at all either is helpful. BOth of these classes require only college algebra certification with no calculus. DO you think either one be worth taking, and if so which and why? I am leaning towards the finite math course.

If I do not sign for another math I will have to sign for both sociology and philosophy or antoher liberal art.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both courses are useful. Statistics is probably more so for a chem major, but finite math might be better preperation for calculus since it lends itself easily to the theorem and proof structure you'll be seeing in calculus. If this was me choosing and I could only take one or the other I would go with statistics. If I was going to take both eventually anyway, I would go with finite math first because it will help you better understand calc, and calc will probably help you understand statistics.

Isn't it kind of late to sign up for classes for spring?

Nothing000 said:
Isn't it kind of late to sign up for classes for spring?
This obviously depends on the university. In some, the fall term has not even ended yet. At mine, we can still sign up for courses any time within the first two weeks of the semester.

I did not know that some schools fall semesters go till january. How do they celebrate christmas and new years?

Millions of people will be celebrating Christmas and New year;

Christmas, January 7th
New year, January 14th

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL: SERBS, RUSSIANS, BULGARIANS, UKRAINIANS,
SOME GREEKS, SOME ETIOPIANS, SOME
EGYPTIANS, and many, many more

***** HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERBODY!

At my uni we're on the quarter system, Fall quarter ended at the beginning of December, Winter is just starting, and then we'll have Spring in about 11-12 weeks.

1. What is the purpose of a math course for a chemistry major?

The purpose of a math course for a chemistry major is to provide students with the necessary mathematical skills and tools to understand and analyze chemical concepts and data. Math is an essential component of chemistry and is used in various areas such as stoichiometry, thermodynamics, and kinetics.

2. Which math course is better suited for a chemistry major - finite math or statistics?

Both finite math and statistics can be beneficial for a chemistry major, but it ultimately depends on the individual's academic and career goals. Finite math focuses on algebra, geometry, and calculus, which are used in solving chemical equations and understanding physical properties. Statistics, on the other hand, is useful for analyzing and interpreting data in experiments. It is recommended to consult with an academic advisor to determine which course aligns better with your interests and future plans.

3. Do I need prior knowledge of math to take a math course for a chemistry major?

Yes, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry before taking a math course for a chemistry major. These skills are necessary for understanding and applying more complex mathematical concepts in chemistry.

4. How will a math course benefit me as a chemistry major?

A math course will benefit you as a chemistry major by providing you with the necessary skills to understand and apply mathematical concepts in chemistry. It will also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in the field of chemistry. Additionally, having a strong background in math can make you more competitive in the job market and open up opportunities for further studies in chemistry-related fields.

5. Can I take both finite math and statistics as a chemistry major?

Yes, it is possible to take both finite math and statistics as a chemistry major. However, it is important to consider your course load and academic requirements before enrolling in multiple math courses. It is recommended to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action based on your individual needs and goals.