Spring system with oscillation: two different displacements

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the amplitude, actual total force, and maximum acceleration of a mass attached to a vertical spring with a force constant of 220 N/m. The solution involves using energy conservation and setting the initial potential energy equal to the kinetic energy at the maximum velocity. The final answer is an amplitude of 1.858 cm.
awertag

Homework Statement

A 0.77 kg mass is attached to a vertical spring and is lowered until it reaches equilibrium at a distance x. The force constant of the spring is 220 N/m. The mass is then further displaced and released causing an oscillation with a maximum speed of 0.40 m/s. Find the following quantities related to the motion of the mass.

(c) the amplitude
cm
(d) The actual total force in the spring at the lowest position
N
(e) the maximum magnitude of the acceleration
m/s2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the initial stretch distance x to be .0343m
and the period to be .3717 seconds

for the amplitude i wanted to do Fextra=k/\xextra where the k=spring constant;Fextra=force applied to further displace it;/\xextra=amplitude

however, i had too many unknowns and didn't know what to do next.

so then i tried doing average v = .2 m/s^2(avg v)(T) = d then d/4 because there are 4 amplitudes per period and get amp = .01858 m or 1.858 cm

does it have to do with the trick of turning the spring horizontal and setting equilibrium as relaxed length w/zero spring energy? any good help will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's you again :P
I recognised your "delta" !For part a), how about using energies?

Set the initial potential energy, with h=[tex]\Delta[/tex]xextra and let mgh=1/2 mv2.

R.

haha yess it's me again! :) sorry i don't know how to do those fancy deltas..
well i had actually tried what you said as well, but it wasn't right either so i don't know, I'm out of ideas

do you know what the answer should be?

no unfortunately it's on webassign (i don't know if you're familiar?) but i know when I'm wrong, but do not know the actual answer

Ah, of course.

You do need to use energy conservation, but I told you the wrong thing.

total energy of system = potential energy + kinetic energy
1/2 k [tex]\Delta[/tex]x2 = mgx + 1/2mv2

However, the velocity is maximum when the potential energy is 0.

([tex]\Delta[/tex]x is the displacement, x is the position along the axis. they are not the same thing)

ok thanks so much again! i had actually done that for the initial stretch at first, but i didn't think to try it for the amplitude. you're saving my life here :)

It's a pleasure :)

1. What is a "Spring system with oscillation"?

A spring system with oscillation refers to a physical system in which a mass is attached to a spring and is allowed to oscillate back and forth due to the force of the spring. This type of system is commonly seen in everyday objects such as pendulums, diving boards, and trampolines.

2. How is the displacement of a spring system with oscillation measured?

The displacement of a spring system with oscillation is measured by the distance that the mass attached to the spring moves from its equilibrium position. This can be measured in meters or any other unit of length.

3. What are the factors that affect the oscillation of a spring system?

The oscillation of a spring system is affected by several factors, including the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the object attached to the spring, and the initial displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

4. What are the two different displacements in a spring system with oscillation?

The two different displacements in a spring system with oscillation refer to the amplitude and the period of the oscillation. The amplitude is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position, while the period is the time it takes for the object to complete one full oscillation.

5. How can the oscillation of a spring system be calculated?

The oscillation of a spring system can be calculated using Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the object attached to the spring. This can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.